The latest controversy hitting the modeling world is the use of underage models at fashion shows. In Australia, they just prohibited a 15-year-old from being the face of the country's Fashion Week.
Claire Quirk (seen here in a few poses and looking, er, not 15 in any of them) was to have been the face of the fashion event, but the Melbourne City Council decided she was too young - although she will still be modeling in the show, just not serve as its "face," which seems to make it somewhat of a meaningless move.
It's a bit of an overreaction. As long as their parents are there or they are chaperoned, I don't see why it should be any more scandalous for a 15-year-old to be in a legitimate modeling show than to be an actress in a movie.
The real "scandal," for want of a better word, is the fashion industry's practice of targeting 15-year-old (and younger) customers with ridiculously inappropriate and sexualized clothing.
If you ever walk around New York, or any city I hazard to guess, you see little packs of teen girls strutting around dressed like mini-hookers. It's partly the fault of the fashion industry and partly the poptart influence of Avril and Britney (well, not her so much anymore) and their peers on MTV.
Girls really shouldn't dress like that until they are 18. Then they should stop when they hit old age at 22.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- If I win, applications will be accepted for the re...
- Send it to Jersey
- I'd settle for technology that makes that cologne ...
- Red state-blue state cog diss
- Just a coinky dink I'm sure
- Republican hypocrisy? What? How? It can't be!
- HO-LY SHIT
- And another one gone and another one gone
- Blue moon
- I might be pregnant
- They really ARE evil
- For those wondering...
- The honor system
- Ka-ching 2
- One of these things is not like the other
- I guess Clay Aiken wasn't available
- Very classy
- Fashion faux pas
- As if you needed another reason
- Another one bites the dust
- Nice to see they have their priorities straight
- Sad tales (tails)
- I call on Americans to do the same
- That's a shame
- The end of an era
- Faster than a speeding bullet...
- Judi and Jeri
- I like the way they think
- Quite an interpretation
- Maybe he just likes to shop at Bloomies
- ▼ August (34)