I have a new guilty pleasure that could prove to be my downfall. It's "Big Brother After Dark" which airs every night on Showtime Too from midnight to 3 am (ET).
And here's the fucked-up thing: I don't even watch the prime time network version of Big Brother on CBS, so I'm not even sure who these people are or what their various grievances with each other are - although now I may have to tune in, so I guess it has done its job.
And unlike the prime time version, where they do the silly stunts and contests and someone gets voted out each week, and they know each moment during those stunts is being filmed, this is pure voyeurism. It's just them talking and bitching for three hours. It's amazing how compelling listening in on people is. Not to mention, they don't bleep out any cursing, although so far there's been no sex. And Variety confirms: "Profanity and nudity will be allowed, but the feed will be interrupted if house guests say anything slanderous or that violates music copyrights."
Some of it, of course, is just banal and pointless, and you wonder what the hell they're talking about, and sometimes the director will just abruptly dump out of a conversation happening in one part of the house and switch to one going on in another room or in the yard.
It's even live, because at one point on Tuesday (Wednesday morning actually) someone asked what time is it, and someone answered 11:30 (the BB house is in Los Angeles) and it was 2:30 am in New York then.
And there's the problem, of course. As someone who frequently gets bouts of insomnia, the last thing I need is to get into the routine of watching a TV show that runs until 3 in the goddamn morning.
But excuse me, now at 12:05 am I have to go watch the damn thing.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- I love freebies. Send me free stuff. Thank you.
- Douchebaggery at its best
- She's pretty persuasive, you've got to give her that
- Republican chickenhawks strike again
- What, his golden tongue isn't working?
- The party's over
- It's a beginning
- She taunts me
- Blub blub
- Oy gevalt
- "The hottest places in Hell are reserved for the s...
- Add your voice for the voiceless
- There they go again
- Another "family values" Republican returns to work
- That's odd
- Brad Pitt threw that away...then again, look what ...
- At least he's consistent
- Bring back the blind daters
- Nevada 1 - NJ 0
- A world of difference
- This is how you know the McCain campaign is REALLY...
- For this alone, he should be impeached
- In other news, sun to rise in East tomorrow
- In this country, Bush would probably give him a Pr...
- Geez, there's a surprise
- Who are these people?
- I call shenanigans
- He's still got Laura and his little dog, Barney
- Lower back pain and the city
- Nixon is still with us
- Professor Backwards strikes again
- Here's how fucked up I am...
- Smarter business plan than the iPhone launch
- And they say God has no sense of humor
- They're still around?
- That explains a lot
- ▼ July (39)