So I'm flipping around watching some of the coverage of that steam pipe explosion in midtown, and, as usual, the anchors and reporters on the national news channels are acting like idiots.
Wolf Blitzer on CNN and David Shuster on MSNBC are breathlessly "reporting" what's going on, mentioning terrorism every chance they can, talking about asbestos in the air, blocks shut down, trying desperately to get some of the eyewitness callers on the phone to talk about panic. None of them were panicked.
And there's good old Chuck Scarborough on WNBC, ch. 4, calmly and matter-of-factly reporting it, talking more about the subway delays and how well cops and firefighters responded to Con Ed's little headache.
Why do the national channels have to be so dramatic? Now whenever I see a report on one of the news networks about something happening anywhere else in the country, I always take it with a big grain of salt, considering how they are when they're talking about something I know.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- I love freebies. Send me free stuff. Thank you.
- Douchebaggery at its best
- She's pretty persuasive, you've got to give her th...
- Republican chickenhawks strike again
- What, his golden tongue isn't working?
- The party's over
- It's a beginning
- She taunts me
- Blub blub
- Oy gevalt
- "The hottest places in Hell are reserved for the s...
- Add your voice for the voiceless
- There they go again
- Another "family values" Republican returns to work...
- That's odd
- Brad Pitt threw that away...then again, look what ...
- At least he's consistent
- Bring back the blind daters
- Nevada 1 - NJ 0
- A world of difference
- This is how you know the McCain campaign is REALLY...
- For this alone, he should be impeached
- In other news, sun to rise in East tomorrow
- In this country, Bush would probably give him a Pr...
- Geez, there's a surprise
- Who are these people?
- I call shenanigans
- He's still got Laura and his little dog, Barney
- Lower back pain and the city
- Nixon is still with us
- Professor Backwards strikes again
- Here's how fucked up I am...
- Smarter business plan than the iPhone launch
- And they say God has no sense of humor
- They're still around?
- That explains a lot
- ▼ July (39)