Last night I discovered my favorite Upper East Side restaurant is apparently quite the rendezvous point for blind dates.
I won't mention its name because last time I did there was an influx of strange people taking up all the seats at the bar where I like to sit by myself, relax, zone out, read the Daily News and have an amusing little red with my meal. Thank you.
I digress. Thursday night, there were THREE blind date couples meeting there.
I'm not exaggerating - three.
I saw them all do the awkward "handshake or tentative kiss, not quite sure if this is the right person" hello.
And, sadly, also, the look of quite visible disappointment in some eyes. I guess a few people weren't quite honest in how they described themselves, or else their picture was heavily Photoshopped.
Honestly, I wasn't eavesdropping. I like to go to this place alone and not talk to anyone, because I talk much of the day for a living, and read the newspaper from cover to cover. And the bartender is great with the buybacks (thanks, Jerry). But unable to avoid hearing some of these conversations, well, let me just say - oy gevalt.
Some of you guys seriously have no rap. It's amazing the human race propagates at all.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- Bread and circuses
- Sixth sign of the apocalypse?
- What a douchebag
- The hillbillies are fun to tweak
- I blame Bush
- She's like Schweitzer. An extremely hot Schweitzer.
- Um, ewww
- The hell with you hillbillies
- Morning after pill
- I knew I liked Mike
- Because it's not getting enough free publicity...
- And they impeached Clinton for Monica??
- Nothing suspicious about this at all
- Where's Roger Lodge when you need him?
- God bless them
- Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey....
- Can someone put "Inherit the Wind" on their Netfli...
- That thing's GOT to violate some laws
- Something about that act really scares them
- Quick, someone change the locks on the country
- Sunday morning annoyance #27
- George Bush's theme song courtesy of Rollins
- Random Saturday items
- That's some cold hard cash
- Hypocrisy in the GOP? I can't believe it
- Just like "Oz"
- I like Mike
- Now you can be entertained as you narrowly miss hi...
- Here's the REAL mystery
- And just as the 'Bing is going out of business
- Wait till I demand a room at the Chateau Marmont a...
- When told George W. Bush was President of the U.S....
- Law & Order & Boobs
- Consumer tip #27
- ▼ June (36)