It's quite funny watching the right-wingers tie themselves in knots these days trying to explain why "Scooter" Libby should be pardoned by Boy George. Libby, of course, was convicted of obstruction of justice for lying to a grand jury about the outing of the identity of covert CIA agent Valerie Plame and was recently sentenced to 30 months jail time.
Back in the 90s, when that evil Bill Clinton was in the White House, the GOP, which couldn't defeat him at the ballot box in two elections, decided to impeach him for lying about his involvement with Monica Lewinsky.
That's still amazing when you think about it, by the way. The president, elected twice by the citizens of this country, was to be removed from office for not standing up and admitting he got a bobjob.
When sensible people, like, oh, you know, 70 percent of the public, said it was a ridiculous charge that never should have been brought, and certainly didn't warrant removal from the highest office in the land, the Republicans whined that the "rule of law" must be followed. It wasn't the sex, they said, it was the lying about it under oath.
(Good job it wasn't the sex, because, as we now know, half the GOP members on the judiciary committee, not to mention the always slimy Newt Gingrich, then the House Speaker, were having their own little flings on the side.)
Anyway, now that it's one of their own, we are hearing the right-wingers saying poor Scooter shouldn't be sent to jail, he's a good honorable man.
So let me see if I have it clear: lying about a bj is enough to throw aside the will of the people and remove a president from office. Lying about the fact that you and your cohorts exposed the identity of an undercover officer of this country's spy services (to punish her husband who had had the nerve to point out the rationale for dragging the country into the Iraq war was a lie) ehh, not such a big deal.
Well, at least it's nice to have their values put clearly on display for all to see,
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- Bread and circuses
- Sixth sign of the apocalypse?
- What a douchebag
- The hillbillies are fun to tweak
- I blame Bush
- She's like Schweitzer. An extremely hot Schweitzer.
- Um, ewww
- The hell with you hillbillies
- Morning after pill
- I knew I liked Mike
- Because it's not getting enough free publicity...
- And they impeached Clinton for Monica??
- Nothing suspicious about this at all
- Where's Roger Lodge when you need him?
- God bless them
- Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey....
- Can someone put "Inherit the Wind" on their Netfli...
- That thing's GOT to violate some laws
- Something about that act really scares them
- Quick, someone change the locks on the country
- Sunday morning annoyance #27
- George Bush's theme song courtesy of Rollins
- Random Saturday items
- That's some cold hard cash
- Hypocrisy in the GOP? I can't believe it
- Just like "Oz"
- I like Mike
- Now you can be entertained as you narrowly miss hi...
- Here's the REAL mystery
- And just as the 'Bing is going out of business
- Wait till I demand a room at the Chateau Marmont a...
- When told George W. Bush was President of the U.S....
- Law & Order & Boobs
- Consumer tip #27
- ▼ June (36)