God bless Einstein and his theory with the sound waves and the passing train (or was it a space ship and people left back on Earth?) Anyhoo, I basically know the story - but this, my friends, this is the REAL theory of relativity:
I had to go into into midtown on Tuesday afternoon for a meeting. When it ended, I stopped in at Morton's Steakhouse (just off 5th) for a little post-meeting, winding-down, happy hour.
They have a great happy hour special there if you're a meat eater: three mini-cheeseburgers – and we're talking those amazing Morton's burgers – for four bucks. (I shouldn't even have told you about that, it's such a little-known, well-kept NYC secret, but what the hell.)
I had that and two glasses of shiraz as I relaxed and read the Daily News.
And then the rub. The burgers at four bucks, the wine at $10.95 each, and I suddenly had a bill of about $28.
No buy backs!
Well, I was grumpy.
As sometimes happens.
So, natch, I gave the not-particularly-friendly bartender a somewhat basic tip of five bucks (come on, he brought over two glasses of wine and one mini-burger platter – he was actually quite lucky.)
On the way home, I passed by Uptown on 3rd.
You know, it just looked so inviting - the big windows were open wide in the delightful weather, Van Morrison was playing on the sound. Oy, temptation. Ok, I ran in and started ordering martinis.
Well, three Lemon Drop martinis (photo: actual Lemon Drop from Tuesday, courtesy of the Q...and once I figure out how to post live from the Q, you're all in trouble) and two Stellas later – all from my favorite, blonde bartender there – and, what, technically, should have been a $30 tab, was a total charge of only $12 (not to mention, mixing those martinis is more work than pouring a glass of wine from a bottle).
So, of course, I gave her a $10 tip.
See how the whole relativity thing works?
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- I wish I had friends like that
- The Ted Haggard Defense
- Did I mention I have new windows?
- I can see clearly now
- A theory of relativity
- Going for her 16 minutes
- Another criminal mastermind
- Cream or sugar with your shower?
- I Heart Jersey
- At the prom?
- I don't THINK this is Cho Seung-Hui?
- On the abortion shift
- Just a reminder...
- I call bullshit
- And cue the loons
- Oy gevalt
- Enough about Imus, please
- Ugh, this weather
- At Mecca, she's going to scream “Oy, Allah”
- I havent even started my Outer Space Alien Day sho...
- Glad to see that "surge" is working so well
- When you've lost the Mormons....
- Thank you, Democratic Congress
- Classy to the end
- Movie tip #472
- I'll believe it when I hear the first incomprehens...
- Heckuva job, Bushie
- Next week, he learns the intricacies of the toaste...
- It's the most wonderful time of the year...
- What a big, brave man
- You mean he wasn't actually doing a show 2000 year...
- If you're happy and you know it CLAP your hands
- He knows what you did last summer
- lol gr8 idea NOT
- Deja drivel
- Ladies and gentlemen, your Republican paaaaarty......
- “April, come she will.”
- ▼ April (39)