In honor of the new month, here's a nice little low-key and pretty much forgotten Simon & Garfunkel song from their legendary Central Park concert.
It brings a smile to my face because several years ago I was traveling through Asia with an ex – it was a great trip; we were on the road for three months and went around China, Thailand, Bali and Hong Kong - and toward the middle of our journey we were in Bali and stumbled into a little store in Ubud selling bootleg CDs, the overwhelming majority of them strange Japanese and Thai albums we had never heard of.
But for some bizarre reason the S&G Central Park concert album was huge there (only about 20 years late). It was playing on the sound system when we walked in, and the store boasted a big picture of them on the stage. Since that concert was recorded about 10 minutes away from where I live, and we were feeling a little homesick by this point, we bought it and played it over and over again during the following week or so (and sorry Paul Simon, but I doubt you got any royalties from the purchase).
Of course by the end of the trip we were also ready to kill each other, so it's not that sweet a story - but, still, this song always brings back fun memories.
Monday, April 02, 2007
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- I wish I had friends like that
- The Ted Haggard Defense
- Did I mention I have new windows?
- I can see clearly now
- A theory of relativity
- Going for her 16 minutes
- Another criminal mastermind
- Cream or sugar with your shower?
- I Heart Jersey
- At the prom?
- I don't THINK this is Cho Seung-Hui?
- On the abortion shift
- Just a reminder...
- I call bullshit
- And cue the loons
- Oy gevalt
- Enough about Imus, please
- Ugh, this weather
- At Mecca, she's going to scream “Oy, Allah”
- I havent even started my Outer Space Alien Day sho...
- Glad to see that "surge" is working so well
- When you've lost the Mormons....
- Thank you, Democratic Congress
- Classy to the end
- Movie tip #472
- I'll believe it when I hear the first incomprehens...
- Heckuva job, Bushie
- Next week, he learns the intricacies of the toaste...
- It's the most wonderful time of the year...
- What a big, brave man
- You mean he wasn't actually doing a show 2000 year...
- If you're happy and you know it CLAP your hands
- He knows what you did last summer
- lol gr8 idea NOT
- Deja drivel
- Ladies and gentlemen, your Republican paaaaarty......
- “April, come she will.”
- ▼ April (39)
What a voice he had!
A few years ago when they had their reunion tour, Andy and I went to see them in St. Paul. It was a great show. Garfunkel stood there the entire time singing with his thumbs hooked into his vest. I really don't think he ever moved his arms.
Post a Comment