I know the love-scorned female astronaut story has been quite a laugh for all, as seen in the wacky cable and tabloid headlines – Lust in Space, The Wrong Stuff, Astro-Nutty – haha.
In fact, it's really just a very sad story.
This is a woman who was obviously in pain and has some real problems and then snapped. Hey, I've had stalky girls, we probably all have had stalkers - who fortunately weren't astronauts - so their shenanigans weren't splashed across the front pages and on 24-hour news stations. Also, granted, they didn't drive across the country in diapers and carry mace for some hijinx.
If only she hadn't been wearing those damn diapers.
That was probably the tipping point for the press coverage. Diapers!
But let's be honest, if it had been a male astronaut stalking a former female lover, the coverage would not have been so flippant and mocking. But, hey, it's a wacky woman astonaut. Good stuff. Time for some cable news beat-the-story-to-death coverage.
As Jon Stewart said, the headline should have been “Very Accomplished Woman in Tragic Local Story.”
And take out the “very accomplished" part and it's the Anna Nicole Smith saga. Many people found her funny, but it was all really just incredibly sad. She was a slow motion train wreck we actually saw dying before our eyes over the last few years. And if her “lawyer” isn't arrested soon for enabling all this, then there really is no justice.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- The downtown trains are full of all those Brooklyn...
- Another Bush success story
- The pistachio carpeting is a nice touch
- What is this strange power I have?
- No wonder NBC is sinking
- Everyone pitching in to do their bit
- Is there anything he can't fuck up?
- Who supports the troops?
- I hope she knows what a falafel is
- Is Aloe good for peeling?
- Seven degrees of You Tube
- More Republican family values
- Buncha wussies
- And they're probably still better than anything st...
- Good stuff
- Uncle Buck?
- With marshmallows, no less
- Bah, humbug
- Proof that the universe is conspiring against me #...
- Another conservative success story
- It's the little things...
- Moral quandry
- Blonde with boobies or blonde labs - tough call
- President Cuckoo Bananas
- Act like children, get treated like children
- TV Guide
- It's as thick as the Manhattan phone book...oh wai...
- Stunning development!
- Boston wienies
- ▼ February (30)