Saturday, February 03, 2007
Act like children, get treated like children
Just a final follow-up thought on the great Cartoon Network scare of '07.
I saw one of the most ridiculous aspects of it on some of the cable news stations, after the numbnuts in Boston had finally figured out they shut down the city because of a marketing campaign featuring cartoon characters.
Apparently these characters occasionally throw the middle finger.
And when the news programs showed pictures of one of the little light emitting thingys that had been plastered all over the town, they actually blurred out the extended middle finger! They blurred out the middle finger of a fucking cartoon character.
What the hell is wrong with our country? Why do people act so childish and prudish?
I can never figure out what exactly they think will happen if someone out there hears a naughty word spoken on TV, or sees someone -- again, a fucking cartoon character - flipping the bird. Will the viewers' eyes start bleeding, will their ears explode?
Of course, this is all done to "protect the children" of parents who are apparently useless and have no control over their kids themselves. It's also done to appease the religious nuts who get all atwitter at the very thought of sex or dirty words.
If you've ever watched TV in the U.K. - and I'm pretty sure it's the same way in the rest of Europe, including Italy, home of the goddamn Vatican, no less - television and radio programs operate under the assumption that adults can handle an occasional F bomb or even see some naked boobs on screen (unless the shows are specifically geared for kids: think Thomas the Tank Engine or Teletubbies, etc.)
In sitcoms and dramas and chat shows, they use the seven dirty words, not gratuitously, but just as normal people do in normal, everyday life.
I've been watching "Extras," a great BBC sitcom that HBO is airing. The F word and the like get thrown out occasionally, and it's hilarious, and it's broadcast on standard, over-the-air TV in the U.K.
But here we have to show it on pay cable, and we blur out the middle finger of a cartoon character. Un-fucking-believable.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- The downtown trains are full of all those Brooklyn...
- Another Bush success story
- The pistachio carpeting is a nice touch
- What is this strange power I have?
- No wonder NBC is sinking
- Everyone pitching in to do their bit
- Is there anything he can't fuck up?
- Who supports the troops?
- I hope she knows what a falafel is
- Is Aloe good for peeling?
- Seven degrees of You Tube
- More Republican family values
- Buncha wussies
- And they're probably still better than anything st...
- Good stuff
- Uncle Buck?
- With marshmallows, no less
- Bah, humbug
- Proof that the universe is conspiring against me #...
- Another conservative success story
- It's the little things...
- Moral quandry
- Blonde with boobies or blonde labs - tough call
- President Cuckoo Bananas
- Act like children, get treated like children
- TV Guide
- It's as thick as the Manhattan phone book...oh wai...
- Stunning development!
- Boston wienies
- ▼ February (30)