I almost went postal today. And, once again, it was thanks to the very bain of my existence – some numbnut who insists on using plastic to pay for a miniscule supermarket bill, and, even better, CAN'T GET IT TO WORK!
I was in a grumpy mood anyway. It's the coldest day of the year – literally freezing at 32 degrees right now – and today, of all days, natch, I had to go into midtown.
On my way home, I stopped in at Key Food for some supplies, chief among them a six of Newcastle Brown Ale on sale for $5.99 – beautiful. Those things cost that much for a pint at a bar.
But then I get stuck behind some genius who decided to pay his big $3.68 bill – I'm not exaggerating, $3.68 – with a goddamn card. And, of course, he couldn't get it to work, they always seem to have problems with their PIN or whatever, so then the cashier had to cancel it all and Einstein paid with cash.
A transaction that literally should have taken 15 seconds went on for about two minutes. And I was stuck there fuming.
Please, people, please, I'm begging all you folks who use plastic for any purchase under $20, please do your grocery shopping at, say, 7 am, way before there's any chance in hell I'm going to be in line behind you.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- Remind me again why they are mocked?
- What a trashy, low-class stunt
- This is just too sweet
- Sublime mysteries of the universe #173
- Christian nuts strike again
- Yet more words he can't pronounce
- SOTU alternative
- Random food and TV thoughts #27
- Antidote for Blue Monday
- To think I almost deleted it
- Instant Karma's gonna get ya
- Nature is amazing
- Oh Lord, why has thou forsaken me? Again.
- What was that noise?
- One of the signs of the apocalypse
- My cynicism alarm is ringing
- Why aren't they kissing our butts?
- Double standard alert
- “Mi arca una arca”
- Did someone show him his new poll numbers?
- And another one gets added to the shit list
- I'm going to hell
- It was better than Penny Pints Night at Pat O'Brie...
- Here's a good way to get buzzed
- Bush to Pentagon: Drop Dead
- Justice is blind...and apparently quite masochisti...
- Well that was annoying
- Good news: Trump's combover looks just at weird on...
- Just biding his time to skip out of Dodge
- It's probably only Jersey anyway
- Derelict on duty
- The American people are apparently terrorist-lovin...
- Bada bing
- She can handcuff me any time
- It's lasted longer than the Megan Mullally Show
- Is there anything Bush touches that isn't a disast...
- And you know, I've had my kitchen and bathroom ren...
- No mas
- What's wrong with this picture
- President schmesident - the game better be on
- ▼ January (43)