I just turned on the TV and there's yet another round of coverage of Jerry Ford's funeral. I think this is the 5th day. It started in California, moved to D.C., and is now in Michigan.
And please don't misunderstand - I liked Ford. He was one of the last of the good guy Republicans, a moderate, not a hater, not a religious freak, not a gay basher.
And, as we found out in some recent posthumously published interviews, the former president thought Bush's Iraq adventure was going to be a debacle. He was, of course, right.
But the camera just went to a shot of his widow, Betty, and she looks absolutely devastated - very frail, she's in a wheelchair, bundled up against the Michigan weather.
I don't know, maybe she actually appreciates all this, but I somehow get the feeling she would like to be able to grieve in peace and not have to go through all the pomp of so many public ceremonies.
I hope they let her alone now.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- Remind me again why they are mocked?
- What a trashy, low-class stunt
- This is just too sweet
- Sublime mysteries of the universe #173
- Christian nuts strike again
- Yet more words he can't pronounce
- SOTU alternative
- Random food and TV thoughts #27
- Antidote for Blue Monday
- To think I almost deleted it
- Instant Karma's gonna get ya
- Nature is amazing
- Oh Lord, why has thou forsaken me? Again.
- What was that noise?
- One of the signs of the apocalypse
- My cynicism alarm is ringing
- Why aren't they kissing our butts?
- Double standard alert
- “Mi arca una arca”
- Did someone show him his new poll numbers?
- And another one gets added to the shit list
- I'm going to hell
- It was better than Penny Pints Night at Pat O'Brien's
- Here's a good way to get buzzed
- Bush to Pentagon: Drop Dead
- Justice is blind...and apparently quite masochisti...
- Well that was annoying
- Good news: Trump's combover looks just at weird on...
- Just biding his time to skip out of Dodge
- It's probably only Jersey anyway
- Derelict on duty
- The American people are apparently terrorist-lovin...
- Bada bing
- She can handcuff me any time
- It's lasted longer than the Megan Mullally Show
- Is there anything Bush touches that isn't a disaster?
- And you know, I've had my kitchen and bathroom ren...
- No mas
- What's wrong with this picture
- President schmesident - the game better be on
- ▼ January (43)
I saw her on CNN. She looked so sad and like she was going to collapse. The soldiers were holding her up. I felt so bad for Betty Ford.
I noticed how bad she looked too! I guess when you're the president's family you have to expect this sort of public grieving, but they should have cut down all the various appearances and makiing them travel halfway across the country like that.
Post a Comment