The right-wing Christian fundamentalists have struck again, and, once more, a local school board is cowering before them, subjecting the reality-based community to their bullshit.
According to The Washington Post:
“Frosty E. Hardiman is neither impressed nor surprised that "An Inconvenient Truth," the global-warming movie narrated by former vice president Al Gore, received an Oscar nomination this week for best documentary.
"Liberal left is all over Hollywood," he grumbled a few hours after the nomination was announced.
Hardiman, a parent of seven here in the southern suburbs of Seattle, has himself roiled the global-warming waters. It happened early this month when he learned that one of his daughters would be watching "An Inconvenient Truth" in her seventh-grade science class.
"No you will not teach or show that propagandist Al Gore video to my child, blaming our nation -- the greatest nation ever to exist on this planet -- for global warming," Hardiman wrote in an e-mail to the Federal Way School Board. The 43-year-old computer consultant is an evangelical Christian who says he believes that a warming planet is "one of the signs" of Jesus Christ's imminent return for Judgment Day.”
Ok, first, this clown's name is Frosty? Second, he has seven kids? Third, why do local communities continue to let these numb nuts dictate teaching in the classrooms? The Post goes on to report:
“His angry e-mail (along with complaints from a few other parents) stopped the film from being shown to Hardiman's daughter.
The teacher in that science class, Kay Walls, says that after Hardiman's e-mail she was told by her principal that she would receive a disciplinary letter for not following school board rules that require her to seek written permission to present "controversial" materials in class.”
Wonderful. So we have a teacher who showed a respected and well-researched documentary about global warming, a doctrine that no serious person in the scientific community denies – hell, even George Bush noted it in his SOTU – being punished to appease a religious nut who has burdened the world with SEVEN fucking kids, who will no doubt grow up to be as bigoted, close-minded and ignorant as Frosty himself. (I assume that's a nickname, but, ya know dude, when you're a 43-year-old computer consultant, it might be time to lose the wacky nickname.)
This whole thing is like when the fundamentalists were able to get the teaching of evolution either banned from classrooms in Kansas, or at least have the theory of “intelligent design” – basically a form of creationism – taught alongside, as if they were equal.
You know, I really don't care if these freaks believe angels in the sky watch down on us, and man was created in god's image and the earth was created in seven days just 3,000 years ago. But don't try to impose your fairy tales on the rest of us through taxpayer-funded public schools. If you want to believe all the religious shit, fine, indoctrinate your brats in a fucking religious school.
Even better, why don't you just team up with the fundamentalist Muslims who also hate modern life and all its sins, and go live with them in some paradise on earth in the middle east and leave the rest of us the fuck alone. I somehow get the feeling Frosty and al Sadr would get along just fine.
(Yes, this story really made me angry, in case you didn't notice.)
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- Remind me again why they are mocked?
- What a trashy, low-class stunt
- This is just too sweet
- Sublime mysteries of the universe #173
- Christian nuts strike again
- Yet more words he can't pronounce
- SOTU alternative
- Random food and TV thoughts #27
- Antidote for Blue Monday
- To think I almost deleted it
- Instant Karma's gonna get ya
- Nature is amazing
- Oh Lord, why has thou forsaken me? Again.
- What was that noise?
- One of the signs of the apocalypse
- My cynicism alarm is ringing
- Why aren't they kissing our butts?
- Double standard alert
- “Mi arca una arca”
- Did someone show him his new poll numbers?
- And another one gets added to the shit list
- I'm going to hell
- It was better than Penny Pints Night at Pat O'Brien's
- Here's a good way to get buzzed
- Bush to Pentagon: Drop Dead
- Justice is blind...and apparently quite masochisti...
- Well that was annoying
- Good news: Trump's combover looks just at weird on...
- Just biding his time to skip out of Dodge
- It's probably only Jersey anyway
- Derelict on duty
- The American people are apparently terrorist-lovin...
- Bada bing
- She can handcuff me any time
- It's lasted longer than the Megan Mullally Show
- Is there anything Bush touches that isn't a disaster?
- And you know, I've had my kitchen and bathroom ren...
- No mas
- What's wrong with this picture
- President schmesident - the game better be on
- ▼ January (43)