I have this perhaps irrational (although quite satisfying) habit of turning against someone and their work - even if I once enjoyed it - if I find out they are right-wing ideologues.
For example, I can't watch the “Airplane” movies now, even though I once thought they were quite funny, because one of the writer/producers, David Zucker, is a right-wing nut who made mocking commercials against Democrats and lavishly praised Bush and the GOP during the 2006 Congressional elections.
Probably the most famous example, of course, is Dennis Miller, a second-rate comedian whose stand-up routine, SNL stint, and talk show appearances I could tolerate for the quick verbal games he employed. Miller, however, became a particularly bizarre right-wing asshole after 9-11, and now I get totally nauseated if I see him.
And it's always been known that the head of Domino's Pizza and the chairman of Coor's Beer are both right-wing freaks, so I never buy either of their products. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I wouldn't want to anyway: the pizza tastes like cardboard and the beer like piss water, and NYC has a zillion great local pizza joints, and I love imported beer - but still, that's all just a happy coinky dink.
Well, now I find out that the CEO of eBay is a right-wing skunk too; Meg Whitman has given tons of money to conservative Republican candidates like George Allen and Mitt Romney. It's not that I have ever used her online auction service, or was even planning to at any point, but now she and her company have been added to my shit list and I will NEVER use eBay because of her obnoxious political leanings.
And you shouldn't either.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- Remind me again why they are mocked?
- What a trashy, low-class stunt
- This is just too sweet
- Sublime mysteries of the universe #173
- Christian nuts strike again
- Yet more words he can't pronounce
- SOTU alternative
- Random food and TV thoughts #27
- Antidote for Blue Monday
- To think I almost deleted it
- Instant Karma's gonna get ya
- Nature is amazing
- Oh Lord, why has thou forsaken me? Again.
- What was that noise?
- One of the signs of the apocalypse
- My cynicism alarm is ringing
- Why aren't they kissing our butts?
- Double standard alert
- “Mi arca una arca”
- Did someone show him his new poll numbers?
- And another one gets added to the shit list
- I'm going to hell
- It was better than Penny Pints Night at Pat O'Brien's
- Here's a good way to get buzzed
- Bush to Pentagon: Drop Dead
- Justice is blind...and apparently quite masochisti...
- Well that was annoying
- Good news: Trump's combover looks just at weird on...
- Just biding his time to skip out of Dodge
- It's probably only Jersey anyway
- Derelict on duty
- The American people are apparently terrorist-lovin...
- Bada bing
- She can handcuff me any time
- It's lasted longer than the Megan Mullally Show
- Is there anything Bush touches that isn't a disaster?
- And you know, I've had my kitchen and bathroom ren...
- No mas
- What's wrong with this picture
- President schmesident - the game better be on
- ▼ January (43)