My friend Sarah came over Monday night for a tasty Omaha burger, as only I can make, and a movie night.
She tried to get me to watch “City of Angels,” (“It's so sad!”) but I quickly put the kibosh on that. We settled on “Syriana,” which I enjoyed yet still have no freakin' clue as to what was going on. I basically took away from it that the oil industry and the CIA are evil - and I'm sure Bush and Cheney were probably somehow involved too.
But as we were flipping around looking for something, I noticed that “Flightplan” and “Red Eye” were playing opposite each other simultaneously on two of the movie channels. (“Red Eye” with the always delicious Rachel McAdams – grrowwr, “Flight Plan” with Jodie Foster.)
I had already seen both so we didn't watch either, but noting them air simultaneously like that made me realize that - today - an airplane is clearly our new “scary place,” the ultimate movie setting for scaring an audience, when it used to be deserted creepy mansions or graveyards or the like.
Both films are from 2005, both claustrophobically set on long-haul flights, and both feature a woman in distress on a plane, each with the fear of the sudden death of a loved one.
(And the plots of both, of course, are also ridiculously implausible, but still intriguing).
So thanks to the asshole terrorists, airplanes are now the scariest place we can imagine. Fuckers.
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Signing off for the year
- Wow, I sure am greedy
- The execution
- Now that's a bad party guest
- So that's what they call it
- If you're a good boy, we'll stop for ice cream...
- I wonder if he's seen this, my favorite picture of...
- Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
- That jumble puzzle can keep him going for hours
- This is when I really need that sugar mommy
- I'm hanging out with the wrong people
- A late contender sneaking in just before the year ...
- Even Bush laughs at this guy's incompetence
- Bush also admits water is probably wet
- Even I'M ashamed of being a guy
- I just threw up in my mouth a little
- Trump at least has some of his priorities right
- And I'm still mad he banned beer sales at street f...
- The new haunted house
- Somewhere there's a kitten stuck in a tree about t...
- A New Jersey Christmas
- Yet another skill I've discovered
- Fat drug addict who can't get it up makes ass of h...
- "Hi Vladimir, it's George. I have a little favor t...
- They stole the White House in 2000 so this would b...
- I hope there's film at 11...of the catfight
- I know some people do get addicted to their BlackB...
- At least I haven't turned into Dexter yet
- Bless the beasts
- Who are these people?
- I'm back, back in the New York groove
- If I don't come back, I probably got married to a ...
- The right hates him, so you know he's doing someth...
- ▼ December (36)
I saw Red Eye too. That guy was so creepy in it yech.
I've always been nervous about flying but since 9-11 it's doubled so I agree that this is the new horror scene!
Post a Comment