President Bush today said Al Qaeda was to blame for the rising wave of sectarian violence in Iraq, which he refused to label a civil war. Mr. Bush said he would press Iraq’s prime minister during meetings in Jordan later this week to lay out a strategy for restoring order.
- NY Times
Listening to this guy talk about the debacle he's caused in Iraq, and his self-denial, is fascinating. He reminds me of that cloying comic strip, Family Circus. You know, with all the cute little kids saying cute little funny things (unfortunately never as funny as this parody).
One of the strip's recurring themes (besides the always popular dotted line tracing Billy's convoluted path on his way to school) shows the kids standing in front of a smashed vase or lamp or something and the parents looking angrily at them, and the kids saying "Not me," with a sort of ghostly image labeled Not Me hovering around (in case you don't get it).
Well that's Bush's way of explaining away the problem in Iraq. Not Me.
But of course it is him. It was his ultimate decision to invade Iraq and depose Saddam, and now that country is disintegrating. Civil war has broken out, hundreds are killed every day, civil society is ceasing to function, Iran is getting stronger. And, of course, almost 3,000 U.S. troops have been killed with tens of thousands more maimed.
The American public has soured on the war, and we are eventually going to pull out (even if it won't happen until Bush leaves office - which of course means tens of thousands more Iraqis and thousands more Americans will be killed in the interim), and then the country will really turn into a clusterfuck.
Amazing. We invade a nation, destroy a functioning government (and yes, yes, stipulate Saddam was a nasty guy), bring worsening chaos, and then will get the hell out with the people left living in absolute fear, with less clean water and electricity than before the invasion, unable to go to work or school, and not knowing if they or their family are going to survive the day.
Way to go, Bush. Oh, wait, I forgot: "Not me."
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Gee, I wonder why he was in a bad mood?
- What, David Duke was too busy to comment?
- Heckuva job yet again, Bushie
- Damn dirty apes
- Jesus H. Christ
- Verizon Wireless Sucks!
- In other startling news....
- White House Circus
- Booty call
- Abortion and Clay Aiken
- Big babies
- Clay Aiken's gay?
- I think that red wine stuff really works
- Pass the gravy
- Murdoch channels Bush
- Ha ha
- But the ice sculptures on the buffet tables are sp...
- March of the morons
- Inner nerd warning
- Making a mountain out of a molehill
- What would Jesus do? If he were a derelict...
- Don't get any funny ideas about owning those uteru...
- "Next on Larry King Live, the inventor of that new...
- Jerry Falwell's big pumpkin head is exploding righ...
- I guess he's taking time off from hunting for the ...
- The real face of the GOP
- A little more eyeliner, Mr. President?
- Bush once again leaves his mark on the world
- And I have witnesses
- This is why I get the big bucks
- Fall guy?
- I always knew NJ had sluts, but this is ridiculous...
- Moon over the meatpacking district - 12:40 am
- Even the weather gets better under Democratic cont...
- Is that Mrs. Beasley in her hands?
- Even with the shitty weather today...
- Random election thoughts
- I'm shocked
- I wanna be sedated
- Vegas, baby!
- London Calling
- Jesus, I might be immortal at this point
- The right-wing echo machine at work
- ▼ November (44)