Sunday, November 19, 2006
Inner nerd warning
I'm afraid my inner nerd has kicked in lately, jump started a few weeks ago when Cinemax ran all six Star Wars movies in hi-def.
Now, I must hasten to point out, I can't really be that much of a nerd, because I never actually saw any of these films before. I'm more of a Star Trek: The Next Generation guy (see, not nerdy at all), and from what I had always heard of the SW movies, the epic storytelling, the ancient myths, well blah blah, it all just seemed a bit pretentious.
But here they were being fed to my house, so what the hell. I fired up the hi-def DVR (and thank you Time Warner for accidently giving me the box and service for free - haha) and recorded all of them. I think it's about 14 hours worth all together.
I began watching them this weekend, starting with the first one, filmed back in the 1970s, and which is now actually called Star Wars IV: A New Hope (see, pretentious). Ok, if you're not a SW nut, they made the first three (from 1977-1983), there was a break of 16 years, and then they made the second group of three (from 1999-2005). But the second trilogy is actually a prequel, set in a period before the first three, so they became Star Wars I-III, and the first three filmed are now titled IV-VI. Get it? Yeah, it is annoying.
I wasn't sure if I should watch them in the order they are numbered, I-VI, but I opted for the chronological order they were made, as that's the way they would have been seen in the movie theaters.
Anyhoo, this is all a long way of saying: I've finally got up to Star Wars I, (which is, of course, the fourth one, from 1999), and this is the chapter where Natalie Portman is introduced as the queen. And wow, I forgot how goddamn cute she is.
Posted by J at 5:14 PM
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Gee, I wonder why he was in a bad mood?
- What, David Duke was too busy to comment?
- Heckuva job yet again, Bushie
- Damn dirty apes
- Jesus H. Christ
- Verizon Wireless Sucks!
- In other startling news....
- White House Circus
- Booty call
- Abortion and Clay Aiken
- Big babies
- Clay Aiken's gay?
- I think that red wine stuff really works
- Pass the gravy
- Murdoch channels Bush
- Ha ha
- But the ice sculptures on the buffet tables are sp...
- March of the morons
- Inner nerd warning
- Making a mountain out of a molehill
- What would Jesus do? If he were a derelict...
- Don't get any funny ideas about owning those uteru...
- "Next on Larry King Live, the inventor of that new...
- Jerry Falwell's big pumpkin head is exploding righ...
- I guess he's taking time off from hunting for the ...
- The real face of the GOP
- A little more eyeliner, Mr. President?
- Bush once again leaves his mark on the world
- And I have witnesses
- This is why I get the big bucks
- Fall guy?
- I always knew NJ had sluts, but this is ridiculous...
- Moon over the meatpacking district - 12:40 am
- Even the weather gets better under Democratic control
- Is that Mrs. Beasley in her hands?
- Even with the shitty weather today...
- Random election thoughts
- I'm shocked
- I wanna be sedated
- Vegas, baby!
- London Calling
- Jesus, I might be immortal at this point
- The right-wing echo machine at work
- ▼ November (44)