I'm certainly shedding no tears over the departure of Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense – he presided over one of the most mismanaged military campaigns in this nation's history - but let's keep one thing in mind: this is George W. Bush's war.
Rumsfeld certainly could have planned better for the occupation and the post-war chaos that we see in Iraq now on a daily basis, but he was carrying out a policy ordered by Bush. He wasn't a rogue defense secretary, he wasn't freelancing, there wasn't a quiet coup in Washington.
Blame for the Iraq debacle begins and ends with Bush. With the soulless Dick Cheney no doubt egging him on, it was Bush who decided to make part of the U.S. response to 9-11 be the invasion of a country that had nothing to do with 9-11 (and in the process, of course, allow Bin Laden to remain at large, while Afghanistan is now sliding back under the control of the Taliban.)
And the change in the Pentagon fits the usual pattern of Boy George, who has skated through life using his daddy's name, connections and money. From avoiding service in Vietnam, to the oil business he failed at, from making millions through a sweetheart deal that allowed him to buy the Texas Rangers, to getting into politics, Bush Jr. has led a charmed life – and, unfortunately, we've had to pay for it.
And now daddy is bailing him out yet again. The new Secretary of Defense, Bob Gates, used to work for Bush, Sr. Meanwhile, the Bush family consigliere, James Baker, is heading a commission that will come up with some sort of recommendation about Iraq, no doubt allowing us to “declare victory” and get the hell out.
But in the meantime, almost 3,000 American soldiers and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians are dead, thanks to the reckless and incompetent policies of this empty little suit, unquestionably the worst president in history. Let's not let Rumsfeld take the full blame for that.
Heckuva job, Bushie.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Gee, I wonder why he was in a bad mood?
- What, David Duke was too busy to comment?
- Heckuva job yet again, Bushie
- Damn dirty apes
- Jesus H. Christ
- Verizon Wireless Sucks!
- In other startling news....
- White House Circus
- Booty call
- Abortion and Clay Aiken
- Big babies
- Clay Aiken's gay?
- I think that red wine stuff really works
- Pass the gravy
- Murdoch channels Bush
- Ha ha
- But the ice sculptures on the buffet tables are sp...
- March of the morons
- Inner nerd warning
- Making a mountain out of a molehill
- What would Jesus do? If he were a derelict...
- Don't get any funny ideas about owning those uteru...
- "Next on Larry King Live, the inventor of that new...
- Jerry Falwell's big pumpkin head is exploding righ...
- I guess he's taking time off from hunting for the ...
- The real face of the GOP
- A little more eyeliner, Mr. President?
- Bush once again leaves his mark on the world
- And I have witnesses
- This is why I get the big bucks
- Fall guy?
- I always knew NJ had sluts, but this is ridiculous...
- Moon over the meatpacking district - 12:40 am
- Even the weather gets better under Democratic control
- Is that Mrs. Beasley in her hands?
- Even with the shitty weather today...
- Random election thoughts
- I'm shocked
- I wanna be sedated
- Vegas, baby!
- London Calling
- Jesus, I might be immortal at this point
- The right-wing echo machine at work
- ▼ November (44)