How bad are things in Iraq these days?
Iraqis are getting their names and phone numbers tatooed on their bodies, even though tatoos are against Islamic tradition, so they can be identified if they are killed and mutiliated beyond recognition.
The caption and photo in this chilling story in the Mercury News tells you all you need to know about the chaos and despair unleashed there since the U.S. invaded and toppled Hussein:
Ali Abbas, a 24-year-old Iraqi man, shows a tattoo giving his name, neighborhood and family phone number as identification in case he is killed in a bombing or a kidnapping and then dumped on a street. Although tatoos go against Islamic law, many Iraqis are getting ID tattoos so they won't be a nameless victim. Note, some of the lettering on his tattoo has been digitally altered to protect his identity.
But, hey, if you listen to Bush and John McCain and the increasingly slimy Joe Lieberman, we're always just turning a corner in Iraq, because, you know, we got Sadaam, we killed his sons, they held elections, why, we just need three more months before democracy blooms in the region.
Ok, there's less electricity and clean water than before the war, and people are afraid to go to work, school or shop. Bodies are piling up so fast they can't even keep count and have begun burying them in mass graves. Iran has been strengthened and the U.S. is more hated than ever in the Middle East. And almost 3,000 American military have been killed.
But Bush and his team scored a glorious victory for democracy by toppling Hussein, who had, er, well, nothing to do with 9-11.
How the hell do these people sleep at night?
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Gee, I wonder why he was in a bad mood?
- What, David Duke was too busy to comment?
- Heckuva job yet again, Bushie
- Damn dirty apes
- Jesus H. Christ
- Verizon Wireless Sucks!
- In other startling news....
- White House Circus
- Booty call
- Abortion and Clay Aiken
- Big babies
- Clay Aiken's gay?
- I think that red wine stuff really works
- Pass the gravy
- Murdoch channels Bush
- Ha ha
- But the ice sculptures on the buffet tables are sp...
- March of the morons
- Inner nerd warning
- Making a mountain out of a molehill
- What would Jesus do? If he were a derelict...
- Don't get any funny ideas about owning those uteru...
- "Next on Larry King Live, the inventor of that new...
- Jerry Falwell's big pumpkin head is exploding righ...
- I guess he's taking time off from hunting for the ...
- The real face of the GOP
- A little more eyeliner, Mr. President?
- Bush once again leaves his mark on the world
- And I have witnesses
- This is why I get the big bucks
- Fall guy?
- I always knew NJ had sluts, but this is ridiculous...
- Moon over the meatpacking district - 12:40 am
- Even the weather gets better under Democratic control
- Is that Mrs. Beasley in her hands?
- Even with the shitty weather today...
- Random election thoughts
- I'm shocked
- I wanna be sedated
- Vegas, baby!
- London Calling
- Jesus, I might be immortal at this point
- The right-wing echo machine at work
- ▼ November (44)