It's funny, but even with three 24-hour national cable news channels, one 24-hour NYC all-news cable TV station, and two all-news radio stations in town, and, of course, the Internet, you still sometimes find out what's happening outside your door just by a phone call from a friend.
I was doing some writing so wasn't really connected to the world, but heard what sounded like a LOT of fire engines going by. But it's NY, there are always fire engines. Then I got a text from a friend asking if I was ok, was it near my building?
So of course, I turn on NY1 and there was the news of the small aircraft that has plunged into a building on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Then I look out my bedroom window (I'm in a corner unit, so I have southern and western views in there), and I see the damn building, about a mile away, with flames shooting out of it, and 6 helicopters hovering above it.
When news of this (what looks like an) accident filtered out to the world, I got about four more calls and texts asking if I was ok, was it near me? So, yes, I am. Fortunately, it's not THAT close to my building.
And to those who didn't call or text to see if I was ok - thanks for nothing you bastards!
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Laura Bush goes as The Joker to the White House Ha...
- “Kazakhstan is more civilized now. Women can now t...
- Serial killing and Texas R&B
- The most boring place on Earth?
- The eagle has landed
- Please hurry, UPS guy
- Holy shit, I'm still drunk
- Rush takes a break from popping pills and vacuumin...
- It's a good thing I don't work on a construction site
- It's up to you, New Jersey, New Jersey
- When you care enough to give the very cheesiest
- Painful but powerful
- It's the most wonderful time of the year
- Pot, meet kettle
- One picture, two tools
- And Bush is Gollum?
- Beautiful smells #27
- And you thought Mark Foley was kinky
- Argyle and mom jeans?
- It's called the heartland - not the brainland
- I'm a people person!
- On a positive note, the turkey always looks ready,...
- People Are Annoying (TM) - Part 24
- I have issues #328
- Plugged in but disconnected
- Don't screw this up for the rest of us, New Jersey...
- Also no mob hits here!
- And there weren't even any mob hits!
- Surreal Life
- If you ever needed a reminder about the difference...
- Wait till you see the photos of him with Clay Aiken
- See - they're just very sensitive and compassionate
- It's one of my three main food groups this time of...
- Oh sure, blame the poor innocent booze
- ▼ October (36)