Michael J. Fox came into America's homes every week for years as Alex Keaton on Family Ties, no doubt still playing daily somewhere in syndication or on cable. And he was Marty McFly in the wonderful Back to the Future trilogy. It's safe to say he's one of the more beloved celebrities out there.
He also announced a few years ago, of course, that he has Parkinson's Disease.
I hadn't seen him in a while, until this ad, which is running in Missouri. The ravages of the disease are evident now, and this is sort of painful to watch, but pretty powerful.
Fox is speaking for the Democrat in the Senate race, Claire McCaskill, who is in favor of stem cell research. The Republican, Jim Talent, is opposed to it. Because, of course, in an effort to keep the anti-choice zealots happy, the GOP is more concerned about petri dishes of stem cells, cells that scientists say could provide much needed help in battling diseases like Parkinson's or spinal cord injuries. People suffering from afflictions like that, ehh, not so much concern from our Republican friends.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Laura Bush goes as The Joker to the White House Ha...
- “Kazakhstan is more civilized now. Women can now t...
- Serial killing and Texas R&B
- The most boring place on Earth?
- The eagle has landed
- Please hurry, UPS guy
- Holy shit, I'm still drunk
- Rush takes a break from popping pills and vacuumin...
- It's a good thing I don't work on a construction site
- It's up to you, New Jersey, New Jersey
- When you care enough to give the very cheesiest
- Painful but powerful
- It's the most wonderful time of the year
- Pot, meet kettle
- One picture, two tools
- And Bush is Gollum?
- Beautiful smells #27
- And you thought Mark Foley was kinky
- Argyle and mom jeans?
- It's called the heartland - not the brainland
- I'm a people person!
- On a positive note, the turkey always looks ready,...
- People Are Annoying (TM) - Part 24
- I have issues #328
- Plugged in but disconnected
- Don't screw this up for the rest of us, New Jersey...
- Also no mob hits here!
- And there weren't even any mob hits!
- Surreal Life
- If you ever needed a reminder about the difference...
- Wait till you see the photos of him with Clay Aiken
- See - they're just very sensitive and compassionate
- It's one of my three main food groups this time of...
- Oh sure, blame the poor innocent booze
- ▼ October (36)