Thursday, October 19, 2006
It's the most wonderful time of the year
"In her thigh-highs and ruby miniskirt, Little Red Riding Hood does not appear to be en route to her grandmother’s house. And Goldilocks, in a snug bodice and platform heels, gives the impression she has been sleeping in everyone’s bed. There is a witch wearing little more than a Laker Girl uniform, a fairy who appears to shop at Victoria’s Secret and a cowgirl with a skirt the size of a tea towel.
Anyone who has watched the evolution of women’s Halloween costumes in the last several years will not be surprised that these images — culled from the Web sites of some of the largest Halloween costume retailers — are more strip club than storybook. Or that these and other costumes of questionable taste will be barely covering thousands of women who consider them escapist, harmless fun on Halloween.
“It’s a night when even a nice girl can dress like a dominatrix and still hold her head up the next morning,” said Linda M. Scott, the author of “Fresh Lipstick: Redressing Fashion and Feminism”
- NY Times
All this and candy, too!
Posted by J at 1:51 PM
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Laura Bush goes as The Joker to the White House Ha...
- “Kazakhstan is more civilized now. Women can now t...
- Serial killing and Texas R&B
- The most boring place on Earth?
- The eagle has landed
- Please hurry, UPS guy
- Holy shit, I'm still drunk
- Rush takes a break from popping pills and vacuumin...
- It's a good thing I don't work on a construction site
- It's up to you, New Jersey, New Jersey
- When you care enough to give the very cheesiest
- Painful but powerful
- It's the most wonderful time of the year
- Pot, meet kettle
- One picture, two tools
- And Bush is Gollum?
- Beautiful smells #27
- And you thought Mark Foley was kinky
- Argyle and mom jeans?
- It's called the heartland - not the brainland
- I'm a people person!
- On a positive note, the turkey always looks ready,...
- People Are Annoying (TM) - Part 24
- I have issues #328
- Plugged in but disconnected
- Don't screw this up for the rest of us, New Jersey...
- Also no mob hits here!
- And there weren't even any mob hits!
- Surreal Life
- If you ever needed a reminder about the difference...
- Wait till you see the photos of him with Clay Aiken
- See - they're just very sensitive and compassionate
- It's one of my three main food groups this time of...
- Oh sure, blame the poor innocent booze
- ▼ October (36)