I don't know which is scarier - that it's Halloween today, or that it's exactly one week until the midterm Congressional elections.
While the public opinion surveys look good for the Democrats, there's still not enough of a lead in many of the races for my taste. Don't forget, even though the generic polls are showing that Americans say they would prefer Democrats to win, each House race is an individual contest. All you need is enough people in a few districts to decide when they walk into the voting booth, "Ehh, my guy's not so bad," and stick with their incumbent Republican. If enough do it throughout the country, the GOP holds the House.
The Senate has always been even more challenging for a Dem takeover, and I also just don't have a good gut feeling about that NJ race, which could actually result in the loss of an incumbent Democratic seat.
I also don't put it past the sleazeballs of the GOP to pull some of their patented dirty tricks, or challenge close election results, or rig the new electronic voting machines that many municipalities are beginning to use.
And then there's the great unknown - some unexpected world event in the next days that could scare voters enough for them not to want to rock the boat. There's a line of thought, in fact, that during the 2004 Presidential election, Osama bin laden, who sees George Bush as his best recruiting tool among Islamic fundamentalists, deliberately timed the release of one of his video tape messages for just days before the November election. It sounds almost counter-intuitive, but some believe he wanted Bush to win re-election, and the tape certainly got Americans scared again. And scaring people is one of the things the Republicans like to do. ("President Bush said terrorists will win if Democrats win and impose their policies on Iraq, as he and Vice President Cheney escalated their rhetoric Monday in an effort to turn out Republican voters in next week's midterm elections.") Scumbag.
On a happier note, while I try to keep the doom and gloom at bay, I saw my first naughty nurse costume today when I ran out to get the papers.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Laura Bush goes as The Joker to the White House Ha...
- “Kazakhstan is more civilized now. Women can now t...
- Serial killing and Texas R&B
- The most boring place on Earth?
- The eagle has landed
- Please hurry, UPS guy
- Holy shit, I'm still drunk
- Rush takes a break from popping pills and vacuumin...
- It's a good thing I don't work on a construction site
- It's up to you, New Jersey, New Jersey
- When you care enough to give the very cheesiest
- Painful but powerful
- It's the most wonderful time of the year
- Pot, meet kettle
- One picture, two tools
- And Bush is Gollum?
- Beautiful smells #27
- And you thought Mark Foley was kinky
- Argyle and mom jeans?
- It's called the heartland - not the brainland
- I'm a people person!
- On a positive note, the turkey always looks ready,...
- People Are Annoying (TM) - Part 24
- I have issues #328
- Plugged in but disconnected
- Don't screw this up for the rest of us, New Jersey...
- Also no mob hits here!
- And there weren't even any mob hits!
- Surreal Life
- If you ever needed a reminder about the difference...
- Wait till you see the photos of him with Clay Aiken
- See - they're just very sensitive and compassionate
- It's one of my three main food groups this time of...
- Oh sure, blame the poor innocent booze
- ▼ October (36)