There is an amazing (and infuriating) story in the Washington Post, written by the paper's former Baghdad bureau chief. If you don't mind getting angry and depressed and angry again, I highly recommend it to you.
It's a brief excerpt from his new book about the sheer mess, corruption, cronyism and ideological bullshit the Bush administration made of the reconstruction efforts in Iraq after the ground war ended and the U.S. took control.
He tells of Americans who were applying for positions to work and help in the reconstruction of that country's destroyed infrastructure being asked if they voted for Bush, and what their opinion on Roe v. Wade was. Of a 24-year-old with no experience in business being sent to reopen the Iraqi stock market. Of the removal of the man who was originally sent to help rebuild the country's precarious health system (an expert considered one of the best in the world at doing that) being replaced by a political hack.
As you read, it really makes your blood boil to think how the Bush people not only lied us into an unnecessary war, costing thousands of American lives, tens of thousands of Iraqi lives, and weakened our position on the world stage, but they totally fucked up the rebuilding of that country, when it perhaps could have been turned into a functioning democracy in the Middle East.
So to recap, the GOP impeaches Bill Clinton because he got a bob job. Bush destroys one country and makes our own demonstrably weaker, but, hey, no problem.
Monday, September 18, 2006
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Attention K-Mart shoppers...
- Why doesn't she just start her career at Fox News ...
- It's the end of the world as we know it, and I fee...
- I like to think of it as being organized
- Time Warner sucks
- Sometimes I disgust even myself
- Autumn in New York...
- Please tell me it doesn't include the smells too
- I know several girls who will get aroused just REA...
- And he also doesn't know the words to the Dreidel ...
- And you thought the Bush response to Katrina was b...
- And sometimes there's girls dancing on the bar
- The dogs again
- I'm in the wrong line of work
- They say it's a depressive, but....
- That's funny, Omarosa seems like such a sweetheart
- Such a model citizen...and derelict
- I'm pretty sure the guy on the right is called Murray
- But, but...doesn't the sun revolve around me?
- Thousands of tube socks and Italian sausages as fa...
- Moon over Manhattan
- If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luc...
- Now, which is the copy and paste button again?
- I guess they haven't finished picking clean the co...
- I've been pantsed
- Jesus H. Christ in a chicken basket
- I promise, I'm going to read some Camus and Shakes...
- Time in New England...
- ▼ September (30)