WACO, Tex., Aug. 3 -- President Bush arrived here Thursday evening to begin a 10-day stretch at his Prairie Chapel ranch, his longest planned period away from Washington during this summer vacation season.
Bush's scheduled week and a half in Texas is a far cry from last year's working vacation, which was shaping up as the longest presidential retreat in more than three decades before it was rudely cut short by Hurricane Katrina after nearly a month.
What a guy! A real man of the people, don't you know. Only taking 10 days at his multimillion dollar ranch, instead of his usual six-week summer break.
I guess the thought of him relaxing on the ranch last year when Katrina devastated New Orleans, and, in 2001, when he ignored the Presidential Daily Briefing telling him that bin Laden was determined to strike the US with airplanes, which it did a month later, was a tad much for his advisors to bear this time.
Of course, don't worry too much about our Boy George working himself to death. As the Washington Post article notes:
While Bush plans to curtail his long stretches away from Washington this year, he still plans to spend most of the coming month out of town. He has planned long weekends at Camp David and the Bush family compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, for August, before returning to Texas before the Labor Day weekend.
Friday, August 04, 2006
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)