I don't know why Tuesdays always seem so depressing. At least to me they do; such a blah day, more so even than Mondays, I think. Of course the fact that it's been raining and grey for a couple of days now (the fringes of Ernesto, I guess) doesn't help.
Then again, maybe it's the TV coverage of Katrina one year later. And how sad that town still seems, and how little has been done to repair it, no matter what Bush tries to proclaim. (The one silver lining in the tragedy that was Katrina, if there could be one, is it finally burst the bubble of seeming competence and compassion that many Americans somehow believed the Bush people actually had. Katrina made clear that was a joke).
It's pathetic to see one of the great cities of the world still in ruins, like an isolated third world village. N.O. was one of my favorite cities, not just for the booze and debauchery, but some of the best meals I ever had. And now it will never be the same.
So, I think I'm going to cheer myself up with a bite to eat and a few cocktails at my favorite martini bar tonight (even though it's not the always popular cheap night, Wednesday, just regular happy hour prices abruptly ending at 8, the bastards.)
But on Tuesday evenings they always have a little jazz combo playing. Jazz means New Orleans, of course. Maybe they'll play a lot of Louis Armstrong tonight.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)