I went with my bud Sarah to a photo exhibit at the ICP on Wednesday night. (And, at 6th and 43rd, it's conveniently close to Bryant Park, so, of course, we had to meet up for drinks first at the BP Grill – because God forbid we do anything without drinking! Jeezus H. Christ.)
Let me tell you, though, there's nothing nicer than an outdoor happy hour on a lazy New York summer evening.
Anyway, I wanted to see the Weegee exhibit. Sarah, who apparently thought it was something to do with a car window washing device, was pleasantly surprised.
Weegee was the famous tabloid photographer who scoured New York's nightlife in the 30's and 40's. The pix he took, so unposed, so stark, are always something to see.
Though he is probably best known for his noirish crime scene photography, even his everyday stuff packs a punch. Look at this shot of a water main break on Madison Ave., circa 1940. How cool is that wave rolling down the street. And that little Gristede Bros. store, of course, was a forerunner of the Gristedes supermarket chain you see all around the city today, 66 years later.
Thursday, August 24, 2006
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)