According to the Republicans, whenever a Democrat suggested it was time to begin planning for pulling U.S. troops out of the debacle that is Iraq, they were defeatists. Cut-and-run was the delightful phrase bandied about by the GOP against Dems who advocated getting the hell out of there, even when it was decorated war veterans like Rep. Jack Murtha (D-PA).
Of course, most of those tough talking Republicans have never served a day in uniform, and don't have any family members serving in the hellhole that Iraq has become.
And now, according to the latest Gallup Poll, most Americans agree with the Democrats, not the Republicans:
NEW YORK - A new Gallup poll released today revealed another upward bump in the number of Amercians who now want a complete U.S. troop withdrawal from Iraq in the next 12 months.
That number now stands at 55%, with 19% supporting immediate withdrawal and another 36% wanting it done by August 2007.
"While the percentage of Americans who favor a withdrawal of all U.S. troops either now or within a year is not a supermajority, it is a majority, suggesting that the Democratic leadership is speaking to an issue that resonates with many Americans," Frank Newport, director of the Gallup Poll, writes today.
Another majority, 54%, now say that the U.S. invasion in 2003 was a "mistake."
I wonder when the GOP and their media lapdogs are going to start smearing the American people as cowards and wimps and defeatists?
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)