Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, great human being – but her sister-in-law is a BITCH!
In case you haven't seen this yet, here is the clip of the already legendary bathroom break-gossip session of CNN anchor Kyra Phillips, with the audio from her wireless mic inadvertently broadcast live to the world Tuesday as President Bush was droning on about Katrina recovery.
At the beginning, it's a little hard to hear what she's saying, but I've included as complete a transcript as I could compile. Since the video portion obviously stays on Bush the whole time, I would advise clicking the play button, then following along with the transcript (just under the You Tube screen) as you listen to the audio.
The whole thing, of course, is somewhat remincent of a classic scene in Naked Gun, the hilarious Leslie Nielsen movie, when his bumbling Lt. Frank Drebin character is at a fancy function, honoring the Queen of England or something, and he has to give a little speech, and then goes to the bathroom not realizing his body mic has been left on, and the assembled dignitaries are shown hearing hilariously gross noises coming over the p.a. system.
The only disappointing thing about this is Kyra's not dishing about either Bush or some of her cohorts there at CNN. Now THAT would be entertainment.
Alas, it's some silly girl talk about guys, but then she takes a delicious swipe at her sister-in-law – in fact, her words “control freak” are notable for the vitriol in her voice. I'm guessing the next Phillips family gathering is going to be a real barrel of laughs.
And, to the guys, I've been assured by my female consultants that the zipper sound you quite clearly hear is likely her pocketbook, or a cosmetic bag, probably after she's touched up her makeup. Most guys, I think, would automatically assume it's a fly, but apparently not.
(By the way, does it seem like the sound on Bush is deliberately being podded down, as her sound goes up. I get the feeling an audio tech at CNN was either out for a little revenge after some Kyra snub, or just enjoying the gossip and not realizing it was being fed out)
After a few seconds of Bush's blather, Kyra is heard, intriguingly, in mid-diatrabe...
KYRA: “...assholes! Yeah, I’m very lucky in that regard with my husband. My husband is handsome and he is genuinely a loving, you know, no ego, well, we all have some, but you know what I’m saying. Just a really passionate, compassionate, great, great human being. And they exist. They do exist. They’re hard to find. Yup. But they are out there.
COWORKER: (unintelligible)...he's coming for an extended visit.
KYRA: I mean, that's how you figure it all out. Those extended visits -- heh heh heh heh heh heh.
COWORKER: My mom's met him and she really likes him.
KYRA: Mom's got a good vibe?
COWORKER: Mm hmm
KYRA: “Of course brothers have to be, you know, protective. [ZIP] Except for mine. I gotta be protective of him!
KYRA: Ugh, yeah. He’s married, three kids, but his wife is just a control FREAK...
ANOTHER WOMAN FRANTICALLY ENTERS BATHROOM: Kyra!
KYRA: Yeah, baby —
WOMAN: Your mic is on!
Then a voiceover from anchor Daryn Kagan is hurriedly put on the air: “All right, we’ve been listening in to President Bush as he speaks in New Orleans today…”
At which point, it once again became drearily unlistenable.
Posted by J at 9:43 PM
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)