The cable news nets devote many, many, MANY hours of air time to missing or murdered girls. Usually white, usually blonde, usually cute.
We've all been subjected to their stories over the years – Natalee Holloway and JonBenet Ramsey and Elizabeth Smart - and blah blah blah and told ad nauseum. I always feel bad for them and their families.
But, as a diarist on Daily Kos notes, what about the American girls who are killed every month in George Bush's Iraq debacle? They don't get such breathless attention, if they get any at all, from the national media.
Like Army Sgt. Amanda Pinson, 21, killed in mortar attack, March 15, 2006.
Or Marine Lance Cp. Juana Navarro-Arellano, age 24, killed by small arms fire, April 8, 2006.
Or Army Pfc. Sam W. Huff, age 18, killed by roadside bomb on April 18, 2005.
Or Army Spc. Jessica L. Cawvey, age 21, killed by roadside bomb on October 6, 2004. She had a 6-year-old daughter named Sierra. Her uncle said, "She joined the service because she wanted to provide the right future for her daughter."
Again, on the Daily Kos site, just some of these many dead girls are remembered here.
They never got the never-ending attention from the cable nets the missing cute blondes do. Different class of people, don't you know.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006
It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or a senior class trip to the Islands
Posted by J at 1:32 AM
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)