I love the apologies these public people make when they get caught saying or doing something stupid. It's all so many empty words, and, somehow, they often try to make it seem like the rest of us are at fault for being offended.
We've got Mel Gibson, of course, apologizing for his hate-filled, anti-semetic tirade, when he was being booked for DUI.
And now we've got Massachusetts' Republican governor, Mitt Romney, who is planning a run for the GOP presidential nomination, apologizing for usiing the phrase "tar baby" when describing a troublesome highway project in the Boston area that has become a political albatross up there.
"A Romney spokesman told AP that the governor was "unaware that some people find the term objectionable and he's sorry if anyone's offended."
It's good that they feel some sort of pressure to actually appear to be sensitive, but, while they can make all the apologies they want, while Gibson can ask to meet Jewish leaders for a dialogue, Romney with the African American community, and they say all the right words in public, the hate in their hearts ain't going away.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)