Catching up on some reading this rainy Monday morning, and I just saw this on the always amusing Stalker section on Gawker:
W 57TH ST AT 10TH AVE
Aug 25th, 2006 @ 10am
I spotted Katie Couric outside of CBS on 57th btw. 10th and 11th Aves. An assistant was holding an umbrella over her as they were waiting for a cab. She looked great!
It made me laugh, because I've seen so many CBS personalities on that barren block waiting desperately for a taxi - it's so far west, the cabs just don't cruise in that area as much as they do in midtown – and I never understood why these people are always waiting for a yellow.
One day, I was heading to the sad Subway sandwich shop on 10th and 56th, and I started seriously ogling a pair of world-class legs, vying for attention from some smelly cabbie from Queens, when I realized it was the yummy Lara Logan, visiting CBS News hq on a break from the Middle East (and, trust me, this was harassment-level ogling - even I was embarrassed).
Then, one afternoon, I actually ended up having to share a cab heading east for four of those long avenue blocks with Leslie Stahl of “60 Minutes” - I was going to a fabulous lunch at Trattoria del Arte, on 57th and 7th, and we both ran for the same lonely cab after waiting outside 524 W. 57 for about five minutes. I almost elbowed her to the ground when I thought she was going to take the fucking thing by herself.
That's so wrong, almost elbowing an elderly woman.
The point is, I can't figure out why these people don't plan ahead and order a company car service, which I'm pretty sure CBS would pay for - or else just spring for the damn black Lincoln themselves (what, 50 bucks?), with the huge salaries they make.
Before joining the penny-pinching-at-least-for-peons TV industry, I used to work in the music business, yet even I – and trust me, not as connected as Katie or Leslie or Lara – knew how to work the company town car service on a pretty regular basis. Good times.
So THEY really could do it any time they want. What they're thinking, dutifully waiting for a yellow, I don't know. It is annoying though.
Monday, August 28, 2006
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)