WASHINGTON, Aug. 30 — Only a few weeks ago, Representative Christopher Shays, a Republican from Connecticut, minced no words in responding to calls led by Democrats for a phased withdrawal from Iraq. “To have a timetable is absolutely foolish,” he said.
But now, as he faces an increasingly tough re-election battle against an antiwar Democrat, Diane G. Farrell, Mr. Shays has undergone a conversion: He is proposing a timetable for a withdrawal of American troops, an idea derided by the Bush administration and many Republicans.
- NY Times
Of course, when a Democrat proposes a timeline for getting out of the Iraq quagmire, he's derided by the GOP as a cut-and-runner, weak on fighting terror, hell, almost a traitor. But, I guess it's different when a Republican does it.
Actually, Shays is a pretty moderate Republican. Connecticut is one of those states where they have to be to get elected. I think he even voted against impeaching Bill Clinton when the GOP got on their moral high horse and put the country through that travesty, outraged that the Big Dog - gasp - got a bobjob.
But the hypocrisy factor, like so much the GOP does, is on Defcon 1 here.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)