You know, all it takes is one stupid salesclerk to ruin your afternoon.
On my way home from lunch, I stopped in at the Banana Republic store on 86th. I had a coupon for 20 percent off any purchases made with my B.R. card.
I went in to get two pairs of khakis. Picked them up in about 45 seconds (see also: bathroom usage, difference between men and women).
Anyway, I then go to pay for them. And there's one damn register open in the whole place. But there's about 10 staffers working the floor of the store, which was almost empty. And there is a customer at the register who is purchasing, and I'm not exagerating, about 20 items! And the girl working the register is, of course, having all sorts of problems.
So I'm waiting there and waiting, now at least 8 or 10 minutes, and seeing all these other staffers wandering around doing absolutely nothing is incredibly frustrating. So I finally catch the manager's eye and ask is there any way to get another register opened. Frankly, he should have taken care of that about 4 minutes earlier - he clearly saw me standing on line behind this clown at the register.
So he brings in this guy who opens a second register and rings up my two items - then takes the 20 percent coupon and starts studying it like it's the Magna fucking Carta. Brow furrowed, lips moving. I ask if there's a problem. Instead of saying anything to me, he calls the manager back over and says, "Can this be used in the store or is it only for online purchases?"
Well, the coupon CLEARLY said it was good for any purchase made with the card...and if used on br dot com for more than $100, there would also be no shipping fee. This apparently was too complicated for him to understand.
So I literally was stuck in the damn store for about 15 minutes when I should have been out in less than two.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)