Here we go again, with the Bush administration and the radical right's war on science. And, once again, reports The Times, the teaching of evolution is under fire.
Evolutionary biology has vanished from the list of acceptable fields of study for recipients of a federal education grant for low-income college students.
If a major is not on the list, students in that major cannot get grants unless they declare another major, said Barmak Nassirian, associate executive director of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. Mr. Nassirian said students seeking the grants went first to their college registrar, who determined whether they were full-time students majoring in an eligible field.
“If a field is missing, that student would not even get into the process,” he said.
That the omission occurred at all is worrying scientists concerned about threats to the teaching of evolution.
The administration says it was a clerical error, and evolutionary biology will be restored to the list of fields of study eligible for grants, but, reports the Times, scientists who knew about the omission find the clerical explanation unconvincing, "given the furor over challenges by the religious right to the teaching of evolution in public schools. “It’s just awfully coincidental,” said Steven W. Rissing, an evolutionary biologist at Ohio State University."
It may very well have just been some sort of clerical error, but given the history of these people, I don't give them the benefit of the doubt anymore. More likely, they were thinking they could just quietly get away with it, a little omission buried deep in the myriad of paperwork, and it would never be brought to public attention.
They really are determined to make this country a laughing stock in the eyes of the world.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Random (somewhat sad) thought on a tipsy Thursday
- The summer breeze...
- Can we say double standard?
- Banana Republic sucks
- Taradise Lost
- Horizontal stripes are the new black
- Mr. Ed would be more competent
- A- HA!
- Kyra Phillips' husband is handsome and a great, gr...
- Rainy days and Tuesdays always get me down
- "News" producers at the cable nets breathe a colle...
- "Kneel before your God, Babylon"
- Do they like sitar music on the radio that much?
- And the winner for best Margaritas goes to....me
- Oh, to be in that sandwich
- What is wrong with these people?
- My solemn vow
- Win a little, lose a little
- This is the guy I usually get stuck next to in air...
- I swear I'm not getting a commission
- Back to the Future
- Next episode, Sarah learns who Ansel Adams was
- Working tirelessly to please you, the Too Saucy re...
- Maureen Dowd doesn't know me
- Are they finally waking up?
- Here's three-and-a-half minutes of grooviness
- It always helps to go missing on a cruise ship or ...
- Such a classy guy
- I wonder if he got miles?
- The things you find on You Tube
- Reason #17 I'm glad I'm not a girl (or a gay guy, ...
- Can we get rid of hair extensions too
- This is almost as exciting as the time they found ...
- No one ever went broke...
- Another two hours of my life I will never get back
- Two degrees of Bridget Fonda
- They're always so classy
- Damn those manipulative bastards
- Yet another reason why I support Israel
- The sleazeballs in the GOP gear up for their dirty...
- I have no fingernails left
- And she probably had to pay 10 cents to receive it
- Ahh cold margs and hot girls in ponytails
- The terrorists have won
- I knew I wasn't crazy
- See, he's just a working stiff like the rest of us
- Yet another revelation from Mel's bust
- A nation of wimps?
- Separated at birth?
- Empty words
- I don't even want to see my Con Ed bill this month
- ▼ August (55)