WASHINGTON, July 19 — President Bush vetoed a bill for the first time today, using his constitutional power to reject legislation passed by Congress that would expand federal research on embryonic stem cells, a step he said would be crossing a “moral line.”
Just lovely. He's been in office for six years (although it seems like 60) and allowed the Republican Congress to pass tax cuts for the wealthy and spending bills up the wazzoo to drive us into deficits, but THIS is the first bill he vetoes.
All so that some goddamn petri dish experiments can't be used for research to help those suffering from Parkinson's, paralysis and God knows what other afflictions.
But as long as the Holy Rollers are kept happy, well, that's the important thing.
On a related note, the House, once again, debated an amendment to ban gay marriage - even though the Senate had already wasted time on it earlier this year and failed to pass it, which meant the House bill would have been meaningless, even if it had passed.
The Middle East is falling apart, but, hey, we gotta keep the religious nuts happy. When Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.), a leader in the move to pass the amendment, was asked about the House wasting time while the world burns, he said: "This is probably the best message we can give to the Middle East in regards to the trouble we are having over there right now."
Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with these people?
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Excuse me, I MUST take this important message from...
- I just want to hear girls talk
- Your reading assignment for today
- I will give the anti-semitic fuck this
- Mel part 2
- Champagne tastes and caviar dreams
- "My limo is a Nielsen household."
- Cleavage is like the sun
- Leave me alone
- And I get my braces off on Thursday
- PBS Kids' Show Host Fired for Video
- The only surprise at this point would be some comp...
- “Would you mind taking your breasts off my hot pla...
- Must obey...can't resist
- What was that strange thing in the sky?
- Tropical Storm Pain in My Butt
- "Dirty Laundry"
- The beer of kings
- A view from the other side
- When that show about cutting hair is too exciting ...
- Nice to see he's got his priorities straight
- That's a shame
- I'm just a port in the storm
- Your tax dollars at work
- Random thoughts as the continent swelters
- But she also denies she's fat
- Global warming? What global warming?
- A great man has passed
- President Fitty Cent
- No wonder King Kong loved it
- Here's one for the ladies
- Not at all stereotypical
- If I start listening to show tunes, then I've defi...
- I feel so suburban
- Oh God, Why Has Thou Forsaken Me?
- Computer tip # 17
- I smell sequel
- Can they be any dumber?
- Thunder and lightning...
- The feel-good hit of the year
- I guess they mature faster over there
- Men are from Mars, Women are from the shoe departm...
- Weirdness from Tom and Katie? Nah...
- Bonjour mesdames et messieurs
- Jesus H. Christ
- "I am a sexually aggressive woman - and I like it!...
- "The rich fire of the orange sunset gloriously ann...
- ▼ July (48)