Just a little side question here to follow-up on my initial post about Mel Gibson-showing-his-true-colors-in-a-drunken, anti-semitic-tirade: What the hell is the deal with these people who have millions of dollars, tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions in Gibson's case, yet still go out and get behind the wheel of a car after drinking?
Why don't these fucktards just get a driver?
Listen, I live in NYC, so I don't have a car - and love not having one. When I go out and happen to drink (which I do occasionally) I'll get a cab home, or jump on a bus or subway with my trusty MetroCard.
But even if didn't live in Manhattan, and was instead in some cow town that lacked reliable, safe, 24-hours a day mass transit, and also didn't have thousands of yellow cabs constantly driving the streets and battling each other to come screeching to a halt when you raise your hand (and I know those of us who live in this city sometimes get spoiled and forget that most places don't actually have this) I'd like to think I wouldn't be so fucking stupid as to drive drunk. ESPECIALLY if I had tons of money to spend on a driver and car.
It doesn't even have to be a stretch limo, for God's sake - just hire a goddamn Lincoln Town Car for the night when you're going out drinking. The 300 bucks that would cost is literally nothing to someone like Gibson, who personally made something like $100 million on his last film. Seriously, it's like you or I buying a 25-cent pack of gum.
I hope he gets what's coming to him. Unfortunately, of course, in our celebrity-worshiping society, he will probably get a slap on the wrist for his civil crime (drunk driving) and make some half-assed apology for his moral crime (anti-semitism) and all will be forgiven. If he can deliver another blockbuster, then Hollywood will make sure he comes out just fine. He may even emerge from this a poor “victim” of his “disease” and get sympathy from some very stupid people.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Excuse me, I MUST take this important message from...
- I just want to hear girls talk
- Your reading assignment for today
- I will give the anti-semitic fuck this
- Mel part 2
- Champagne tastes and caviar dreams
- "My limo is a Nielsen household."
- Cleavage is like the sun
- Leave me alone
- And I get my braces off on Thursday
- PBS Kids' Show Host Fired for Video
- The only surprise at this point would be some comp...
- “Would you mind taking your breasts off my hot pla...
- Must obey...can't resist
- What was that strange thing in the sky?
- Tropical Storm Pain in My Butt
- "Dirty Laundry"
- The beer of kings
- A view from the other side
- When that show about cutting hair is too exciting ...
- Nice to see he's got his priorities straight
- That's a shame
- I'm just a port in the storm
- Your tax dollars at work
- Random thoughts as the continent swelters
- But she also denies she's fat
- Global warming? What global warming?
- A great man has passed
- President Fitty Cent
- No wonder King Kong loved it
- Here's one for the ladies
- Not at all stereotypical
- If I start listening to show tunes, then I've defi...
- I feel so suburban
- Oh God, Why Has Thou Forsaken Me?
- Computer tip # 17
- I smell sequel
- Can they be any dumber?
- Thunder and lightning...
- The feel-good hit of the year
- I guess they mature faster over there
- Men are from Mars, Women are from the shoe departm...
- Weirdness from Tom and Katie? Nah...
- Bonjour mesdames et messieurs
- Jesus H. Christ
- "I am a sexually aggressive woman - and I like it!...
- "The rich fire of the orange sunset gloriously ann...
- ▼ July (48)