This is happening in Delaware, folks, not Alabamy or Mississippi...
The complaint recounts a raucous crowd that applauded the board's opening prayer and then, when sixth-grader Alexander Dobrich stood up to read a statement, yelled at him "take your yarmulke off!" His statement, read by Samantha, confided "I feel bad when kids in my class call me Jew boy."
According to the unfortunately named Jews on First:
A large Delaware school district promoted Christianity so aggressively that a Jewish family felt it necessary to move to Wilmington, two hours away, because they feared retaliation for filing a lawsuit. The religion (if any) of a second family in the lawsuit is not known, because they're suing as Jane and John Doe; they also fear retaliation. Both families are asking relief from "state-sponsored religion."
The behavior of the Indian River School District board's behavior suggests the families' fears are hardly groundless.
The district spreads over a considerable portion of southeast Delaware. The families' complaint, filed in federal court in February 2005, alleges that the district had created an "environment of religious exclusion" and unconstitutional state-sponsored religion.
Among numerous specific examples in the complaint was what happened at plaintiff Samantha Dobrich's graduation in 2004 from the district's high school. She was the only Jewish student in her graduating class. The complaint relates that local pastor, Jerry Fike, in his invocation, followed requests for "our heavenly Father's" guidance for the graduates with:
I also pray for one specific student, that You be with her and guide her in the path that You have for her. And we ask all these things in Jesus' name.
Read it all here and be afraid for our country.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Excuse me, I MUST take this important message from...
- I just want to hear girls talk
- Your reading assignment for today
- I will give the anti-semitic fuck this
- Mel part 2
- Champagne tastes and caviar dreams
- "My limo is a Nielsen household."
- Cleavage is like the sun
- Leave me alone
- And I get my braces off on Thursday
- PBS Kids' Show Host Fired for Video
- The only surprise at this point would be some comp...
- “Would you mind taking your breasts off my hot pla...
- Must obey...can't resist
- What was that strange thing in the sky?
- Tropical Storm Pain in My Butt
- "Dirty Laundry"
- The beer of kings
- A view from the other side
- When that show about cutting hair is too exciting ...
- Nice to see he's got his priorities straight
- That's a shame
- I'm just a port in the storm
- Your tax dollars at work
- Random thoughts as the continent swelters
- But she also denies she's fat
- Global warming? What global warming?
- A great man has passed
- President Fitty Cent
- No wonder King Kong loved it
- Here's one for the ladies
- Not at all stereotypical
- If I start listening to show tunes, then I've defi...
- I feel so suburban
- Oh God, Why Has Thou Forsaken Me?
- Computer tip # 17
- I smell sequel
- Can they be any dumber?
- Thunder and lightning...
- The feel-good hit of the year
- I guess they mature faster over there
- Men are from Mars, Women are from the shoe departm...
- Weirdness from Tom and Katie? Nah...
- Bonjour mesdames et messieurs
- Jesus H. Christ
- "I am a sexually aggressive woman - and I like it!"
- "The rich fire of the orange sunset gloriously ann...
- ▼ July (48)