The double standard in the American media is astounding sometimes.
There is a horrific story unfolding, where an American soldier (with others at the scene who helped him cover it up) allegedly raped, and then killed a 14-year-old Iraqi girl. You may have vaguely heard something about it, but if you read the American press or listen to the TV news, you may also have been unaware that she was only 14. A young girl.
What's a 14-year-old in the U.S. usually - a 9th grader?
The rest of her family (including a 5-year-old) was killed too and their bodies burned to try to hide what was done, and to blame insurgents. The soldier who raped and shot the girl is up on charges now, and could face the death penalty, and four others are being charged too. Another soldier is charged with failing to report the crime, but not with participating.
But this 14-year-old has repeatedly been called an "Iraqi woman" by the media, or at best, a "young woman."
How the fuck can a 14-year-old be called a woman? She was a kid. An adolescent.
But the right-wing press sure had a field day when Monica Lewinsky was giving Bill Clinton a hummer. She was 22, she was an adult, she voluntarily shared those little Oval Office hijinks with him. Hell, her friends later said she had went to Washington bragging she was going to put her presidential kneepads on. But the media insisted on continually calling her an "intern," and you would hear some of the blowhard commentators saying, "She's no older than my daughter," trying to give the impression she was somehow just a young girl, not 22.
But a 14-year-old Iraqi kid? Well, she's a woman, of course.
By the way, just to be clear, it doesn't matter if she was 14 or 64, rape is pure evil, and this particular incident, if what's charged is accurate, was especially horrendous. I just find it interesting that the American media, which is usually so quick to spotlight the ages of young female victims (remember all those missing teen girls) seems somehow blase about it this time.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Excuse me, I MUST take this important message from...
- I just want to hear girls talk
- Your reading assignment for today
- I will give the anti-semitic fuck this
- Mel part 2
- Champagne tastes and caviar dreams
- "My limo is a Nielsen household."
- Cleavage is like the sun
- Leave me alone
- And I get my braces off on Thursday
- PBS Kids' Show Host Fired for Video
- The only surprise at this point would be some comp...
- “Would you mind taking your breasts off my hot pla...
- Must obey...can't resist
- What was that strange thing in the sky?
- Tropical Storm Pain in My Butt
- "Dirty Laundry"
- The beer of kings
- A view from the other side
- When that show about cutting hair is too exciting ...
- Nice to see he's got his priorities straight
- That's a shame
- I'm just a port in the storm
- Your tax dollars at work
- Random thoughts as the continent swelters
- But she also denies she's fat
- Global warming? What global warming?
- A great man has passed
- President Fitty Cent
- No wonder King Kong loved it
- Here's one for the ladies
- Not at all stereotypical
- If I start listening to show tunes, then I've defi...
- I feel so suburban
- Oh God, Why Has Thou Forsaken Me?
- Computer tip # 17
- I smell sequel
- Can they be any dumber?
- Thunder and lightning...
- The feel-good hit of the year
- I guess they mature faster over there
- Men are from Mars, Women are from the shoe departm...
- Weirdness from Tom and Katie? Nah...
- Bonjour mesdames et messieurs
- Jesus H. Christ
- "I am a sexually aggressive woman - and I like it!...
- "The rich fire of the orange sunset gloriously ann...
- ▼ July (48)