Click on the video below and see a couple of minutes of an absolutely amazing appearance by Elizabeth Smart on Nancy Grace's show. Smart is the Utah girl who was kidnapped and then found alive a few years ago. She was on to promote a Sex Offender's Registry bill, which clearly was the only topic she had agreed to speak about. But Grace started doing her unctuous, condescending, oh-so-sympathetic routine, and Elizabeth seriously shoots her down.
It starts with the odious Grace asking a series of the most inane questions/statements (When you knew people were looking for you, how did that make you feel?...Did you want to scream out, Help me?..You were just a little girl, weren't you?), and Elizabeth just responds with monosyllabic answers, almost stunned at the vapidity of the questions.
Then look out for the best visual moment.
Grace asks a seriously stupid question: “You were afraid I assume?”
Elizabeth: “Yah” – and with the tone of her voice, she may as well have said "Dur." Then she looks at someone off camera to the side, and you know she's thinking, “Can you believe this dumb twat?”
She also makes it clear she didn't want to continue to talk about her ordeal of four years ago.
But Grace will not be stopped, and continues asking yet more questions about the kidnapping, and finally Elizabeth snaps: “I really, to be frankly honest, I don't appreciate you bringing all this up.”
By the way, I always felt sorry for this little girl on multiple levels, not just the kidnapping. When she was found and returned, it seemed like she was being forced to play that damn harp and be part of a “happy” family - and didn't necessarily want to be there. It all seemed sort of creepy. I always thought there was something weird about this case and that family, but, hey, what do I know.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Excuse me, I MUST take this important message from...
- I just want to hear girls talk
- Your reading assignment for today
- I will give the anti-semitic fuck this
- Mel part 2
- Champagne tastes and caviar dreams
- "My limo is a Nielsen household."
- Cleavage is like the sun
- Leave me alone
- And I get my braces off on Thursday
- PBS Kids' Show Host Fired for Video
- The only surprise at this point would be some comp...
- “Would you mind taking your breasts off my hot pla...
- Must obey...can't resist
- What was that strange thing in the sky?
- Tropical Storm Pain in My Butt
- "Dirty Laundry"
- The beer of kings
- A view from the other side
- When that show about cutting hair is too exciting ...
- Nice to see he's got his priorities straight
- That's a shame
- I'm just a port in the storm
- Your tax dollars at work
- Random thoughts as the continent swelters
- But she also denies she's fat
- Global warming? What global warming?
- A great man has passed
- President Fitty Cent
- No wonder King Kong loved it
- Here's one for the ladies
- Not at all stereotypical
- If I start listening to show tunes, then I've defi...
- I feel so suburban
- Oh God, Why Has Thou Forsaken Me?
- Computer tip # 17
- I smell sequel
- Can they be any dumber?
- Thunder and lightning...
- The feel-good hit of the year
- I guess they mature faster over there
- Men are from Mars, Women are from the shoe departm...
- Weirdness from Tom and Katie? Nah...
- Bonjour mesdames et messieurs
- Jesus H. Christ
- "I am a sexually aggressive woman - and I like it!"
- "The rich fire of the orange sunset gloriously ann...
- ▼ July (48)