I love how the White House and its apologists are trumpeting Bush's surprise visit to Iraq as some sort of great sign that progress has been made in that wreck of a country.
When you look at the way the visit went down, though, it puts in stark terms how insecure Iraq has become since the U.S. invaded to topple Sadaam.
Unlike every other presidential visit to another nation, it was done in utmost secrecy. The President of the U.S. had to sneak into town like a wanted man. The public and press weren't notified the visit was going to happen, hell the president of Iraq didn't know until five minutes beforehand that Bush was in Baghdad. The people on the trip were outfitted in bulletproof vests, flak jackets, helmets, and never ventured from a heavily secured military base once they landed. And the visit lasted all of five hours before they scurried out of town on Air Force One.
Iraq has devolved into a revolutionary state, with sectarian violence killing thousands. Almost 2,500 Americans have been killed, tens of thousands more wounded, and Iran is pulling the strings on swatches of the country as it makes its own move to develop a nuclear bomb. The Iraqi people have less electricity and clean water now than they did before the war. Women, who, unique in that part of the world, had prominent places in Iraqi culture and government under Sadaam, are now being harassed by Islamic religious police eager to see them basically enslaved like women in places like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Afghanistan.
Oh yeah, things are going great over there. Heckuva job, Bushie.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I love when famous people fight
- Ahem: cough, cough
- Girls, I'm available to consult
- Now if I can just hook up with Kirsten Dunst when ...
- God bless the innocents...and a change of shifts
- That's a shame
- Then they'll play Boggle
- Can't keep em' straight without a program
- Dork Patrol
- New name for Viagra-loving Rush Limbaugh
- Sign of the apocalypse # 18
- Fat Bastard in trouble again
- Tethered (by the) balls
- Sign # 26 that I have to be more mature
- They better not roll over on this one
- They really are evil
- Hey Ya, Snoopy
- How are those hermetically sealed offices in midto...
- Weekend movie marathon rants and blahs
- Weekend household tip # 14
- The things you learn in bars
- Can we put them in charge of FEMA?
- Elections have consequences
- Turning the corner, yet again?
- People are annoying: part 17
- On the other hand, they weren't playing any Bon Jovi
- I'm in love with a Jersey girl...
- Random thoughts for a Friday afternoon
- My favorite billionaire
- Good for Hillary!
- Like crabs, they will be back
- Nice to see we have our priorities straight
- Has she finally went too far?
- Can these people stoop any lower?
- Now THIS is what you call acting
- “Oh yeah, that's the good stuff”
- Skunk alert
- Why does it happen right at this crucial time in o...
- Jesus H. Christ
- And the fourth toe on her left foot is too short
- One more reason to hate him
- What gave me away? Dropping the F bombs, the gratu...
- As long as East Bumfuck, Nebraska gets some money...
- And that tsunami thing, that was a hoot too
- ▼ June (49)