There has been much chortling in the right-wing ranks about division among Democrats over the disastrous war in Iraq, with politicians and conservative media figures noting the "disarray" amnong Democrats, some who don't want to make any noises about getting U.S. troops out, some wanting an immediate pullout, and some wanting to at least start planning a timeline for withdrawl.
The Senate voted today on two Democratc war measures, defeating both of them.
But, as Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del) said: "There is some disagreement in the Democratic Party," he said. "The Republicans are totally united in a failed policy. Let me say it again: the Republicans are totally united in a failed policy."
Biden is right. It's time for the Democrats to point out that the Republican "plan" is to just blindly go along with Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld, no matter the debacle this unnecessary war has become, no matter how many thousands of U.S. troops are being killed, maimed and wounded, no matter it's making us more vulnerable to terror.
There's already signs that Karl Rove and his minions will be using the war in the midterm election to paint the Dems as somehow weak on defense. The phrase "cut-and-run" has been bandied about lately by Republicans and the hatemongers on talk radio.
The Democrats damn well better start fighting back on this issue. When it comes to gutter politics, the Republicans are masters.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I love when famous people fight
- Ahem: cough, cough
- Girls, I'm available to consult
- Now if I can just hook up with Kirsten Dunst when ...
- God bless the innocents...and a change of shifts
- That's a shame
- Then they'll play Boggle
- Can't keep em' straight without a program
- Dork Patrol
- New name for Viagra-loving Rush Limbaugh
- Sign of the apocalypse # 18
- Fat Bastard in trouble again
- Tethered (by the) balls
- Sign # 26 that I have to be more mature
- They better not roll over on this one
- They really are evil
- Hey Ya, Snoopy
- How are those hermetically sealed offices in midto...
- Weekend movie marathon rants and blahs
- Weekend household tip # 14
- The things you learn in bars
- Can we put them in charge of FEMA?
- Elections have consequences
- Turning the corner, yet again?
- People are annoying: part 17
- On the other hand, they weren't playing any Bon Jovi
- I'm in love with a Jersey girl...
- Random thoughts for a Friday afternoon
- My favorite billionaire
- Good for Hillary!
- Like crabs, they will be back
- Nice to see we have our priorities straight
- Has she finally went too far?
- Can these people stoop any lower?
- Now THIS is what you call acting
- “Oh yeah, that's the good stuff”
- Skunk alert
- Why does it happen right at this crucial time in o...
- Jesus H. Christ
- And the fourth toe on her left foot is too short
- One more reason to hate him
- What gave me away? Dropping the F bombs, the gratu...
- As long as East Bumfuck, Nebraska gets some money...
- And that tsunami thing, that was a hoot too
- ▼ June (49)