I'm so tethered to the grid, it's not even funny.
I just got home a little while ago, after a long weekend in Connecticut, and now I've got gadgets plugged in all over the place and recharging. My camera, my electric razor, and my lovely new Motorola Q smart phone.
Yes, I broke down and got the Q - it has Internet access, email, an MP3 player, camera (still and video) and, oh yeah, a phone.
I actually conducted a few email convos this morning with some unsuspecting folks as I sat dockside at a little place right on the Long Island Sound having a delightful grilled salmon brunch.
Here's a pic from there via the Q - it's only a 1.3 MP camera, so not as good as your standard digi, but I'm still learning the settings, and it was a little cloudy today, so I will do better. That's my promise to you! (Although, the pic does have a sort of Monet quality to it, if I do say so).
Anyway, I digress, the point of this, as I look around at all these gizmos plugged in and greedily mainlining pure Con Ed juice, is it's sort of scary how dependent we are on the power supply. And how quickly we miss it when it goes.
During the blackout that hit the East Coast in 2003, we all had to walk home from work that day as the subways were, of course, out. My cell phone died at about 11 pm, with no way to recharge the battery. And if it wasn't for one of my buds, Jan Brady, who had an extra flashlight - thanks to her girl scout of a mom - I would have been in darkness all night, because God forbid I plan ahead and have one, or even stock some candles.
I don't even want to imagine what this country will be like if power ever goes out for days at a time on large swatches of the land. I'm guessing something like Mad Max quadrupled.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I love when famous people fight
- Ahem: cough, cough
- Girls, I'm available to consult
- Now if I can just hook up with Kirsten Dunst when ...
- God bless the innocents...and a change of shifts
- That's a shame
- Then they'll play Boggle
- Can't keep em' straight without a program
- Dork Patrol
- New name for Viagra-loving Rush Limbaugh
- Sign of the apocalypse # 18
- Fat Bastard in trouble again
- Tethered (by the) balls
- Sign # 26 that I have to be more mature
- They better not roll over on this one
- They really are evil
- Hey Ya, Snoopy
- How are those hermetically sealed offices in midto...
- Weekend movie marathon rants and blahs
- Weekend household tip # 14
- The things you learn in bars
- Can we put them in charge of FEMA?
- Elections have consequences
- Turning the corner, yet again?
- People are annoying: part 17
- On the other hand, they weren't playing any Bon Jovi
- I'm in love with a Jersey girl...
- Random thoughts for a Friday afternoon
- My favorite billionaire
- Good for Hillary!
- Like crabs, they will be back
- Nice to see we have our priorities straight
- Has she finally went too far?
- Can these people stoop any lower?
- Now THIS is what you call acting
- “Oh yeah, that's the good stuff”
- Skunk alert
- Why does it happen right at this crucial time in o...
- Jesus H. Christ
- And the fourth toe on her left foot is too short
- One more reason to hate him
- What gave me away? Dropping the F bombs, the gratu...
- As long as East Bumfuck, Nebraska gets some money...
- And that tsunami thing, that was a hoot too
- ▼ June (49)