Friday, June 09, 2006
My favorite billionaire
The Times has a fun editorial today on Mayor Bloomberg. It notes he has been speaking out lately on a host of issues that go beyond New York, including some great ones:
On gun-control legislation on Capitol Hill: "God-awful."
On so-called intelligent design theory: "Creationism by another name."
On politicians who "equivocate," or parse their position on a woman's right to choose an abortion: "On this issue, you are either with us or you're not. Period. You can't have it both ways."
On illegal immigration: "We're not going to deport 12 million people, so let's stop this fiction."
On stem cell research, the mayor punctuated his support with a $100 million donation for projects at Johns Hopkins University.
Sometimes, he does things that annoy me (like his refusal to deal with the Transit Workers union that led to a strike last year right around Christmas time), but usually he's on the ball. And, of course, let's remember one of his greatest accomplishments - ramming through the ban on smoking in bars. For that alone he has my undying gratitude.
Bloomie is sort of a Republican, but, as the Times notes, he is a Democrat-turned-Republican, who took the label just so he could get that party's nomination, which he wouldn't have been able to get in the candidate-rich Democratic party. He's my favorite type of Republican, a RINO (Repub. in Name Only).
He says he has no eye on higher office and won't be running for President, and, of course, as a gay-friendly, gun-control-friendly, abortion-rights-friendly candidate, he has absolutely no shot in getting the GOP nomination anyway. Not to mention, he's Jewish. That don't play too well down in places like Alabammy, don't you know.
But kudos to Bloomie. (And his cute billionaire daughter).
Posted by J at 11:41 AM
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I love when famous people fight
- Ahem: cough, cough
- Girls, I'm available to consult
- Now if I can just hook up with Kirsten Dunst when ...
- God bless the innocents...and a change of shifts
- That's a shame
- Then they'll play Boggle
- Can't keep em' straight without a program
- Dork Patrol
- New name for Viagra-loving Rush Limbaugh
- Sign of the apocalypse # 18
- Fat Bastard in trouble again
- Tethered (by the) balls
- Sign # 26 that I have to be more mature
- They better not roll over on this one
- They really are evil
- Hey Ya, Snoopy
- How are those hermetically sealed offices in midto...
- Weekend movie marathon rants and blahs
- Weekend household tip # 14
- The things you learn in bars
- Can we put them in charge of FEMA?
- Elections have consequences
- Turning the corner, yet again?
- People are annoying: part 17
- On the other hand, they weren't playing any Bon Jo...
- I'm in love with a Jersey girl...
- Random thoughts for a Friday afternoon
- My favorite billionaire
- Good for Hillary!
- Like crabs, they will be back
- Nice to see we have our priorities straight
- Has she finally went too far?
- Can these people stoop any lower?
- Now THIS is what you call acting
- “Oh yeah, that's the good stuff”
- Skunk alert
- Why does it happen right at this crucial time in o...
- Jesus H. Christ
- And the fourth toe on her left foot is too short
- One more reason to hate him
- What gave me away? Dropping the F bombs, the gratu...
- As long as East Bumfuck, Nebraska gets some money....
- And that tsunami thing, that was a hoot too
- ▼ June (49)