Thursday, May 11, 2006
What's up with Hillary?
I like Hillary Clinton and I'm glad she's my senator, but sometimes, I can't figure her out.
Recently, she has made overtures to Rupert Murdoch, the right-wing media baron who owns the New York Post and Fox News Channel.
She attended a Fox party in Washington DC a few weeks ago, and now word has come out that Murdoch's News Corp. is throwing a fund raiser for her Senate campaign.
I realize it's probably a smart political move, as she's hoping the Post and Fox will lay off their usual Democrat-bashing, and Clinton-bashing, during her run. It might even work, especially with the Post. And Murdoch has certainly been known to put his financial interests ahead of his right-wing ideology. In the U.K., one of the right-wing newspapers he owns there, the Sun, backed Labour's Tony Blair, throwing aside its tradition of Conservative party backing.
But it still gives me pause when I see her cozying up to right-wing entities.
My real issue, though, is that I wish she would spread her wealth around a little more. She's got something like $20 million in her campaign bank. She has, to all intents and purposes, no serious competition this year. The New York Republican party has imploded, and the candidates for the GOP senate nomination are basically vying to see who is going to be the sacrificial lamb whose ass is going to be handed to them by Hillary on election day.
But the former first lady is continuing to fund raise as if she is facing a real fight. My friend Corky just sent me an invite for a lunch for Hillary, with tickets starting at $125, and going up to $1,000.
I would consider contributing if she would start giving a lot more of the campaign cash to other Democratic candidates around the country who are facing real races, and who are financially out gunned by their Republican opponents who enjoy the backing of big business and other special interests. The Dems have a serious shot to take the House this year, but they can't do it if some of their candidates can't compete in the elections. That's where the money should be going, not here to Hillary's race, where it's not needed any more.
Yes, I realize she is probably hoarding it for a 2008 Presidential run. But, the fight is for the House NOW.
And Corky, of course, is confused when it comes to politics. She thinks she's a Republican, but she fund raises for Hillary, and browbeat me to take her to a media screening of Michael Moore's great liberal documentary Fahrenheit 911 before it opened a few years ago. Make up your mind, schizo!
Posted by J at 11:06 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I like New York in June..how about you?
- Do you want to hear the good news first, or the ba...
- A place, a state of mind...a refreshing drink
- He giveth and He taketh
- Oh yeah, and that weapons of mass destruction thin...
- Light at the end of the tunnel?
- Now if she can only talk to W. about Iraq
- I blame the olive cartel
- Then he hurried home to watch "Anal Bandits 5"
- And then I gave thanks to baby Jesus
- And, of course, I didn't know any of them
- Making us proud as always
- They don't even blush at their lack of principles
- Two hours just isn't enough for lunch
- Isn't there a fucking Chuck E. Cheese anywhere in ...
- Catholics and albinos of the world unite!
- A reminder: turn over your wombs gals, you don't o...
- Get ready for Scarlet A's to start making appearances
- I wanted to do the same thing when a phone on the ...
- What's up with Hillary?
- Don't fall asleep
- Karma is a bitch
- I'm nauseous
- Sometimes I think I'm from another planet
- And for his next magic trick, maybe he'll, er, act...
- I thought it was when he balanced the budget and b...
- Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...shame ...
- Hmm, now let me see...who was President then?
- And she's probably somebody's wife now...
- Survey says: paranoid
- I think I met someone like this last night at a ma...
- He really is Dr. Evil
- Usually they just spit in your food if they're angry
- This year's gay marriage?
- New Jersey and you...and avian flu
- This is what happens when they let Clarence Thomas...
- ▼ May (38)
I love Hillary Clinton, but I think the Repubulicans hate her so much she will have a hard time of winning if she runs for Pres. in 2008. Sad.
It's all about 2008, JBK, that's what she's fundraising for. She is going to be re-elected in NY easily.
I LIKE HILLARY. (i hate the name Corky)
Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
Post a Comment