Even the so-called moderate Republicans will pander with the best of them.
Recently, John McCain groveled before Jerry Fallwell, giving the commencement speech at Falwell's Liberty University. This after Falwell and other members of the Christian right had smeared McCain and his family during the 2000 Republican primaries. But, McCain's running again, and apparently is willing to debase himself to get the backing of the religious nuts this time around.
And now we have Rudy Giuliani helping out his good buddy Ralph Reed, the former head of the Christian Coalition, who is running for Lt. Gov. in Georgia, and is one of the slimiest people in politics or religion. And that's saying something.
As I said a few weeks back, Giuliani, who, like McCain, is apparently thinking about entering the GOP presidential primaries for 2008, is delusional if he thinks his pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-gun control views will land him the Republican nomination.
At the fundraiser for Reed, Giuliani skirted over those social issues, that are usually red meat to a conservative crowd. And, according to The Times, Reed refused to say whether Giuliani's views would hurt him in the Republican primaries.
Mr. Reed declined to answer reporters' questions about whether he could support Mr. Giuliani for president, given that they disagree on abortion rights and gay rights, or if he thought the former mayor would make a good president.
"We're really focused on 2006," Mr. Reed said, adding, "I learned a long time ago an 80 percent friend is not a 20 percent enemy."
Let me answer for him, Rudy. No, he and his ilk will not support you, no matter how much money you raise for him now.
And the weird thing that politicians like McCain and Giuliani don't seem to see is that by groveling like this, by throwing their principles overboard, they may indeed pick up support from some of the less rabid of the religious right - but they lose support from the great majority in the middle who would otherwise be likely to vote for them, but now won't because they are throwing their lot in with these rightwing skunks.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I like New York in June..how about you?
- Do you want to hear the good news first, or the ba...
- A place, a state of mind...a refreshing drink
- He giveth and He taketh
- Oh yeah, and that weapons of mass destruction thin...
- Light at the end of the tunnel?
- Now if she can only talk to W. about Iraq
- I blame the olive cartel
- Then he hurried home to watch "Anal Bandits 5"
- And then I gave thanks to baby Jesus
- And, of course, I didn't know any of them
- Making us proud as always
- They don't even blush at their lack of principles
- Two hours just isn't enough for lunch
- Isn't there a fucking Chuck E. Cheese anywhere in ...
- Catholics and albinos of the world unite!
- A reminder: turn over your wombs gals, you don't o...
- Get ready for Scarlet A's to start making appearances
- I wanted to do the same thing when a phone on the ...
- What's up with Hillary?
- Don't fall asleep
- Karma is a bitch
- I'm nauseous
- Sometimes I think I'm from another planet
- And for his next magic trick, maybe he'll, er, act...
- I thought it was when he balanced the budget and b...
- Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...shame ...
- Hmm, now let me see...who was President then?
- And she's probably somebody's wife now...
- Survey says: paranoid
- I think I met someone like this last night at a ma...
- He really is Dr. Evil
- Usually they just spit in your food if they're angry
- This year's gay marriage?
- New Jersey and you...and avian flu
- This is what happens when they let Clarence Thomas...
- ▼ May (38)