I don't know if I'm being a) an egomaniac, b) paranoid, c) grumpy, or d) giving off some weird, undetectable, electromagnetic attraction aura - but there's something that happens to me a lot in bars that is puzzling.
It happened again last night. I went to one of my favorite bar/restaurants for dinner. I like to go alone, sit in the bar area, and read the Daily News. The food is very good at this place, the bartenders are great with buybacks, all in all, it's very relaxing.
Anyway, I get there at about 5:30, and the place is still pretty empty at that time of the day. So, I'm reading the paper, enjoying a pre-dinner glass of wine (an amusing little pinot noir), and someone comes in and sits down RIGHT NEXT TO ME. There were about 20 empty barstools, only one other customer at the bar - and this guy has to sit right next to me.
And, natch, it was a guy. It's never a hot little 19-year-old blonde (not that she should be in a bar, but I won't tell). It's always a guy. A big hairy fat guy. Probably smelled too.
Now I really don't mind strangers sitting next to me, and, obviously, when bars fill up, it's unavoidable. But why would you choose to sit five inches away from someone when there are plenty of empty seats available?
I had to actually move my newspaper, which I had spread out a little.
I just don't get it. But stop doing it, people. Leave me alone. Thank you.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- I like New York in June..how about you?
- Do you want to hear the good news first, or the ba...
- A place, a state of mind...a refreshing drink
- He giveth and He taketh
- Oh yeah, and that weapons of mass destruction thin...
- Light at the end of the tunnel?
- Now if she can only talk to W. about Iraq
- I blame the olive cartel
- Then he hurried home to watch "Anal Bandits 5"
- And then I gave thanks to baby Jesus
- And, of course, I didn't know any of them
- Making us proud as always
- They don't even blush at their lack of principles
- Two hours just isn't enough for lunch
- Isn't there a fucking Chuck E. Cheese anywhere in ...
- Catholics and albinos of the world unite!
- A reminder: turn over your wombs gals, you don't o...
- Get ready for Scarlet A's to start making appearances
- I wanted to do the same thing when a phone on the ...
- What's up with Hillary?
- Don't fall asleep
- Karma is a bitch
- I'm nauseous
- Sometimes I think I'm from another planet
- And for his next magic trick, maybe he'll, er, act...
- I thought it was when he balanced the budget and b...
- Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...shame ...
- Hmm, now let me see...who was President then?
- And she's probably somebody's wife now...
- Survey says: paranoid
- I think I met someone like this last night at a ma...
- He really is Dr. Evil
- Usually they just spit in your food if they're angry
- This year's gay marriage?
- New Jersey and you...and avian flu
- This is what happens when they let Clarence Thomas...
- ▼ May (38)