Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Working the refs
I see the right-wingers have found a new target to go after, in their never-ending media bashing efforts to shut down any critical thought – Meredith Vieira.
Yes, Meredith Vieira of The View, who some righties are now blasting as a raving liberal.
And why are they going after the soon-to-be co-host of Today?
Because she actually dared to criticize the Iraq war, its rationale and the incompetent conduct of it by the Bush regime.
This, in the eyes of the conservatives, is tantamount to treason. Because, you know, we should never criticize Boy George.
Vieira is fighting back, telling the Philadelphia Inquirer: “I'm an independent. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. I'm not particularly interested in politics, truth be told. Every time you read the paper, somebody lies about something [about the war.] I've been vocal about it.”
"Every day there are new questions. I want to know why we are there, what the game plan is, what the discrepancies are between what we're being told and what's really going on. [Conservatives] can paint me as anything they want. I know what I am. I'm comfortable with the positions I've taken in my life."
The Vieira bashing, of course, is just part of the ongoing strategy by conservatives, in which they target the print and broadcast media, loudly proclaiming it as “liberal,” a word they have tried to tarnish as somehow unAmerican. They do it constantly to The New York Times and Washington Post, they do it the big three networks, especially CBS News (hell, they almost called for a lynching of Dan Rather), and now they are doing it to Vieira.
Sports managers often do the same thing with the referees in their games. They constantly cry that the refs are biased against their team, and making bad calls. Sooner or later the referees will be so wary and tired of the constant bashing, they, usually subconsciously, go out of their way to make calls in favor of the complaining team.
The media, already under ratings and circulation pressure, and after years of being called liberal, often times will go out of their way to bash a Democrat (see the treatment suffered by Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry) or give a free ride to a Republican (see Bush, McCain, etc.) as if to say: “See, we're not liberal at all.”
I hadn't even realized Vieira had spoken out about that debacle of a war. Anytime I've seen The View, she seems to be talking about sex or her boobs. But, I have new respect for her now that I know it, and I hope she continues to speak her mind.
Not to mention: she ain't Star Jones. Or that ditzy blonde.
Posted by J at 11:42 AM
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Fly Me to the Moon
- Oy gevalt
- Hello, can someone do this story?
- I love having the gals fight over me
- When does the revolution start?
- New Jersey and you...and anthrax-ridden mice
- Guns, gas, God and gays - the Republican platform
- Yeah, I'll admit it, I can be a bum
- Is there anything he touches that doesn't become a...
- Here's a suggestion, George - look in the goddamn ...
- Woke up this morning
- Give me a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee for a buck ...
- Speaking of movies....
- Hooray for Hollywood
- I don't have to open the door myself - yeaaa!
- Why don't they just keep 'em chained up in the kit...
- Hello Satan, my usual table, please
- I hope they don't rent hotel rooms later for a pos...
- And they say white people have no rhythm
- Did they finally run out of swamp land in Florida ...
- And I thought TOM was sort of wacky
- And she still doesn't understand why I call her Co...
- Watch out Ecuador, we're coming to take your spot
- On all other nights, I don't have a cannon ball in...
- Working the refs
- (S+C) x (B+F)/T = V
- Coming soon to a state near you?
- Warning: New York chauvinism coming up
- People suck
- See what happens if you put your mind to it...and ...
- Are they delusional?
- You say you want a revolution
- Katie did...finally
- What the #&*$@?
- And he actually won a damn war
- "Kvetching with desiah..."
- Now, if I can only get them filled with Jack Danie...
- “I am big, it's the pictures that got small.”
- They had me coming and going
- Instant karma's gonna get you
- What's next? Sending suicide bombers to Cancun?
- F-me pumps at brunch?
- ▼ April (42)