I'm glad all the hoopla about Katie Couric is finally over. I'm not a Katie-basher by the way. To be honest, I just don't watch morning TV (it's a little too early for my taste), so I don't have any strong opinions one way or the other about her. She seems competent at the job, more personable than a lot of other folks on TV, and is able to handle a hard news interview just as easily as the silly cooking segments and celebrity schmoozing that's such a big part of the morning shows. (Presumbably the cooking and celeb stuff will not be a part of the CBS Evening News deal.)
But, the whole thing once again reminds us of the ridiculous salaries these on-air people make.
The Daily News put it in perspective today:
"Does Katie Couric's estimated annual salary at CBS - $15 million a year - boggle your mind?
Think of it this way: it's almost $300,000 a week.
Or $60,000 a day. The average schmo in Manhattan, meanwhile, makes just $405 a day."
So, when you're trying to decide if you should splurge on a $6 cab ride instead of hopping on a bus, just remember, that same day Katie earned 60 grand. I don't know whether to be envious or nauseated.
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Fly Me to the Moon
- Oy gevalt
- Hello, can someone do this story?
- I love having the gals fight over me
- When does the revolution start?
- New Jersey and you...and anthrax-ridden mice
- Guns, gas, God and gays - the Republican platform
- Yeah, I'll admit it, I can be a bum
- Is there anything he touches that doesn't become a...
- Here's a suggestion, George - look in the goddamn ...
- Woke up this morning
- Give me a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee for a buck ...
- Speaking of movies....
- Hooray for Hollywood
- I don't have to open the door myself - yeaaa!
- Why don't they just keep 'em chained up in the kit...
- Hello Satan, my usual table, please
- I hope they don't rent hotel rooms later for a pos...
- And they say white people have no rhythm
- Did they finally run out of swamp land in Florida ...
- And I thought TOM was sort of wacky
- And she still doesn't understand why I call her Co...
- Watch out Ecuador, we're coming to take your spot
- On all other nights, I don't have a cannon ball in...
- Working the refs
- (S+C) x (B+F)/T = V
- Coming soon to a state near you?
- Warning: New York chauvinism coming up
- People suck
- See what happens if you put your mind to it...and ...
- Are they delusional?
- You say you want a revolution
- Katie did...finally
- What the #&*$@?
- And he actually won a damn war
- "Kvetching with desiah..."
- Now, if I can only get them filled with Jack Danie...
- “I am big, it's the pictures that got small.”
- They had me coming and going
- Instant karma's gonna get you
- What's next? Sending suicide bombers to Cancun?
- F-me pumps at brunch?
- ▼ April (42)