PBS did a show recently about the movement in South Dakota to ban all abortions, no exceptions even for rape or incest. And in it, Digby found an astounding segment highlighting another reason you really don't want to move to South Dakota.
They hold events where young girls come from all over the state with their fathers to a “Purity Ball.”
It looks like a prom, the girls get all dressed up, they dance with their fathers - and then they pledge to them that they will remain virgins till they get married.
Is it just me, but is this a little creepy?
First of all, going to a prom-like event with your father is pretty strange in itself. But then to literally have to verbally pledge to him you are not going to have sex until you get married just ups the weird factor by a thousand.
Jeezus, many girls I know lost their virginity in the aftermath of a school dance, if not right in the middle of the damn dance floor.
Here's an excerpt from the NOW show on PBS:
LAST FRIDAY NIGHT, YOUNG GIRLS FROM AROUND SOUTH DAKOTA CAME TO SIOUX FALLS FOR A SPRING BALL. THIS ONE IS CALLED "THE PURITY BALL" IT'S A YEARLY EVENT RUN BY LESLEE UNRUH'S ABSTINENCE CLEARINGHOUSE.
THE IDEA IS THAT THESE YOUNG WOMEN COME WITH THEIR FATHERS. TO CELEBRATE THEIR SEXUAL PURITY.
We think that its important for fathers to the be the first ones to look into their daughters eyes and to tell her that her purity is special, and its ok to wait until marriage.
IT MIGHT HAVE ALL THE TRAPPINGS OF A REGULAR PROM... BUT THIS ONE ENDS A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY.
GIRLS RECITING PLEDGE:
"I make a promise this day to God...
THE YOUNG WOMEN HERE ALL MAKE A PROMISE TO THEIR FATHERS THAT THEY WONT' HAVE SEX UNTIL THE DAY THEY GET MARRIED.
GIRLS RECITING PLEDGE:
...to remain sexually pure...until the day I give myself as a wedding gift to my husband. ... I know that God requires this of me.. that he loves me. and that he will reward me for my faithfulness.
“To give myself as a wedding gift to my husband..."
It's not just chipping away at abortion rights - these people want to return to the time when women were nothing more than property, passed off from a father to a husband.
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Fly Me to the Moon
- Oy gevalt
- Hello, can someone do this story?
- I love having the gals fight over me
- When does the revolution start?
- New Jersey and you...and anthrax-ridden mice
- Guns, gas, God and gays - the Republican platform
- Yeah, I'll admit it, I can be a bum
- Is there anything he touches that doesn't become a...
- Here's a suggestion, George - look in the goddamn ...
- Woke up this morning
- Give me a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee for a buck ...
- Speaking of movies....
- Hooray for Hollywood
- I don't have to open the door myself - yeaaa!
- Why don't they just keep 'em chained up in the kit...
- Hello Satan, my usual table, please
- I hope they don't rent hotel rooms later for a pos...
- And they say white people have no rhythm
- Did they finally run out of swamp land in Florida ...
- And I thought TOM was sort of wacky
- And she still doesn't understand why I call her Co...
- Watch out Ecuador, we're coming to take your spot
- On all other nights, I don't have a cannon ball in...
- Working the refs
- (S+C) x (B+F)/T = V
- Coming soon to a state near you?
- Warning: New York chauvinism coming up
- People suck
- See what happens if you put your mind to it...and ...
- Are they delusional?
- You say you want a revolution
- Katie did...finally
- What the #&*$@?
- And he actually won a damn war
- "Kvetching with desiah..."
- Now, if I can only get them filled with Jack Danie...
- “I am big, it's the pictures that got small.”
- They had me coming and going
- Instant karma's gonna get you
- What's next? Sending suicide bombers to Cancun?
- F-me pumps at brunch?
- ▼ April (42)