Tuesday, April 04, 2006
“I am big, it's the pictures that got small.”
It's a beautiful thing to watch Republicans around the country panic and go into meltdown over their plummeting poll numbers.
Tom DeLay is out in Texas. And, down in Florida, Katherine Harris, running for a U.S. Senate seat, is far behind Democratic incumbent Ben Nelson, and is showing increasing signs of lunacy.
Harris, of course, was the Florida Secretary of State, who also happened to be the state coordinator for the Bush-Cheney campaign in the 2000 election (no conflict of interest there!) and helped throw that stolen election to her team.
But, her poll numbers are anemic, and her campaign staff is deserting her in droves.
According to the Tampa Tribune, in the past 10 days, Harris:
•Had locks changed and posted a security guard at the door of her campaign headquarters in Tampa and had former staff members escorted in to retrieve their belongings.
•Told a gathering of supporters in Cocoa Beach on Saturday that the Republican Party had "infiltrated" her campaign staff to put "knives in my back."
•Told a reporter that a longtime, trusted political adviser had leaked a story about her staff members quitting, then called back to retract the comments.
•Announced hiring her new staff without identifying them.
Those events come atop previous reversals and contradictions, including her announcement last month that she would spend her inheritance from her father on her campaign, which she changed, saying she would sell her assets.
Former campaign manager Jim Dornan, who left in November, called the most recent events in the campaign "unbelievable."
"It smacks of real paranoia," he said of the headquarters lockout and comments about infiltration. "That campaign staff was so loyal to her, and to be treated like that is absolutely unconscionable."
Harris' appearance, the weird makeup and frozen face, always reminded me a little of Gloria Swanson as Nora Desmond in that classic movie of Hollywood behind-the-scenes, Sunset Boulevard. Now, she's apparently went batshit like Nora too.
Posted by J at 12:26 PM
- ► 2010 (31)
- ► 2009 (199)
- ► 2008 (309)
- ► 2007 (413)
- Fly Me to the Moon
- Oy gevalt
- Hello, can someone do this story?
- I love having the gals fight over me
- When does the revolution start?
- New Jersey and you...and anthrax-ridden mice
- Guns, gas, God and gays - the Republican platform
- Yeah, I'll admit it, I can be a bum
- Is there anything he touches that doesn't become a...
- Here's a suggestion, George - look in the goddamn ...
- Woke up this morning
- Give me a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee for a buck ...
- Speaking of movies....
- Hooray for Hollywood
- I don't have to open the door myself - yeaaa!
- Why don't they just keep 'em chained up in the kit...
- Hello Satan, my usual table, please
- I hope they don't rent hotel rooms later for a pos...
- And they say white people have no rhythm
- Did they finally run out of swamp land in Florida ...
- And I thought TOM was sort of wacky
- And she still doesn't understand why I call her Corky
- Watch out Ecuador, we're coming to take your spot
- On all other nights, I don't have a cannon ball in...
- Working the refs
- (S+C) x (B+F)/T = V
- Coming soon to a state near you?
- Warning: New York chauvinism coming up
- People suck
- See what happens if you put your mind to it...and ...
- Are they delusional?
- You say you want a revolution
- Katie did...finally
- What the #&*$@?
- And he actually won a damn war
- "Kvetching with desiah..."
- Now, if I can only get them filled with Jack Danie...
- “I am big, it's the pictures that got small.”
- They had me coming and going
- Instant karma's gonna get you
- What's next? Sending suicide bombers to Cancun?
- F-me pumps at brunch?
- ▼ April (42)